How to set lxde language in Debian Lenny

All questions and problems regarding the installation and upgrades of LXDE from USB Stick, Live CD or Web.
Archdevil

How to set lxde language in Debian Lenny

Post by Archdevil »

Hi all!

I installed lxde on a computer running archlinux earlier this week. I am dutch and because I activated the available locales, the lxde-menu was translated into dutch.

Now I did the same thing in debian lenny, and I keep getting the english version.

How can I make lxde (openbox?) use the dutch menu-text? xfce and kde both work correct.

With kind regards,

:twisted:
umarzuki

Re: How to set lxde language in Debian Lenny

Post by umarzuki »

maybe this article would help http://wiki.debian.org/Locale
Leppie

Post by Leppie »

I have a similar problem as I set the system language to Italian (Debian Lenny). The LXDE menu is still in English though.
I've read several articles on how to modify the language parameters, but to no avail.
Any suggestions?
Marty Jack

Post by Marty Jack »

It would seem that your locale isn't set when lxsession starts, so that it doesn't get into lxpanel. Normally this is done by setting the environment variable LANG, and its friends, somewhere in your shell startup files. Where you would do this depends on what display manager you are using (that is the component that puts up the login box and then starts X and the session manager.) I use slim and I find that the incantation:

bash -l -c "/usr/bin/lxsession -s LXDE"

works. This is also necessary to get proper character encoding handling in lxterminal. I am unable to offer the recipe for GDM or KDM.
Nico33

Post by Nico33 »

Same problem here, I chose French language when I installed my Linux system but anyway LXDE is showing in english only. Then I tried to install the french language in synaptics package manager but it didn't change anything. I'm I doing something wrong? I can't find any places to set the default language of LXDE, is there a hidden text file somewhere? Another problem: I have no idea what's a shell startup script, I thgout LXDE would be a great way to use Linux on my old laptop, but it looks like you need to be a computer guru to use it