Gpicview doesn't see usb drive. PCManFM does

All questions and problems regarding the installation and upgrades of LXDE from USB Stick, Live CD or Web.
mmyron

Gpicview doesn't see usb drive. PCManFM does

Post by mmyron »

Hi there!

I'm struggling to put together a pc for my daughters kindergarten class. The hardware is a PIII 450Mhz with 256MB Ram 80GB HDD and an on board intel 82810 series Graphic Card.
I've installed ubuntu from the mini iso with no packages selected and then LXDE with

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install lxde
For the kids I've installed Gcompris, Childsplay, and Tuxpaint to use in class.
For the teacher I've installed Libreoffice Writer and Calc, Osmo, Xfburn, VLC and Wine (she wants to use some win based VCDs in class) and of course gpicview.

My problem is that although pcmanfm "sees" the mounted usb drive or camera I plug in and I can view their content, if I choose to open a jpg, gpicview opens nothing! For gpicview the mounted device does not exist. Same thing happens to VLC if I try to open an .avi contained in the drive...

I've found various solutions for the "permission" problem with pcmanfm and usb drives but this doesn't seem to cover my case...
Any ideas?
Rex Bouwense

Re: Gpicview doesn't see usb drive. PCManFM does

Post by Rex Bouwense »

First thing that I would check (using the synaptic package manager) would be are there some missing dependencies. That occasionally happens when you install minimum OS.
Rex
mmyron

Post by mmyron »

Rex Bouwense wrote:First thing that I would check (using the synaptic package manager) would be are there some missing dependencies. That occasionally happens when you install minimum OS.
Thank you for answering!

But besides using synaptic for "filtering" the installed packages (1100 so far) and manually check their dependencies is there a more "automated" way? And furthermore in such a customized installation how can one be sure to cover all dependencies for the features needed, such as auto-mounting which has to do with the system and not a specific program?
Rex Bouwense

Post by Rex Bouwense »

Normally when you install via the terminal or synaptic package manager, the dependencies are also installed at the same time. Occasionally, Murphy's Law comes into play and something doesn't get installed. To check to see if you have anything broken, open the synaptic package manager, check custom filtering, and broken.
Since you only have 256 Mbs of RAM you might seriously consider dropping in some more. It is cheap now. I don't think that is your problem though You have sufficient RAM to run lxde.
Rex
mmyron

Post by mmyron »

Mysteriously enough, I didn't find any broken packages... And I installed everything either through terminal or synaptic. Adding memory is not much of an option because such old modules are seriously overpriced and furthermore, I can't tell the teacher to ask from the other parents to "chip in" in order to buy some memory, given the financial situation here in Greece. The computer is a recycle-bin salvage (was running win98 on 64MB ram) and we already managed to get a pair of speakers and a used 17'' TFT monitor donated...
rokytnji

Post by rokytnji »

) and of course gpicview.
I use Mirage on my low ram AntiX core install lxde amrel laptop for viewing photos and images. Not a lot of dependencies needed for it to install.

Code: Select all

libc6 (>= 2.2.5) [amd64]
    Embedded GNU C Library: Shared libraries
    also a virtual package provided by libc6-udeb 

libc6 (>= 2.3.6-6~) [i386]

libx11-6 (>= 0)
    X11 client-side library 

python (<< 2.7)
    An interactive high-level object-oriented language (default version) 

python (>= 2.6)

python-gtk2
    Python bindings for the GTK+ widget set 

python-support (>= 0.90.0)
    automated rebuilding support for Python modules 

python2.6
    An interactive high-level object-oriented language (version 2.6) 

http://mirageiv.berlios.de/

https://apps.ubuntu.com/cat/application ... se/mirage/
Amrel RT 786ex 1.6ghz, 512MB ram , AntiX 8.5 core, Biker Linux user # 475019
Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way
My AntiX LXDE Install