Attempting to install but laptop boots to grub

All questions and problems regarding the installation and upgrades of LXDE from USB Stick, Live CD or Web.
evlgamer

Attempting to install but laptop boots to grub

Post by evlgamer »

Greetings;

I downloaded the ISO image from the fedora page and burned it to a CD. I am attempting to install the OS from a USB optical drive to a laptop. I have setup the BIOS to boot to the external CD drive, however when I power on the laptop it dumps me directly to a grub menu instead of an install process.

Can anyone help?
Rex Bouwense

Re: Attempting to install but laptop boots to grub

Post by Rex Bouwense »

I know this simple stuff but
1. Did you check the md5sum of your down load to make sure that you got a good download?
2. Did you burn the OS at the slowest possible speed to insure that you get a good burn?
These questions have to asked first.
Rex
fohrums

Post by fohrums »

Some distros don't have the USB isntallation support for LinuxLinux USB Creator/Unetbootin.

Distros such as Manjaro (which is what i'm using now) from their wiki suggests that if you want to install via USB you'll have to use "ImageWriter" which is equivilent to burning any image file (.img, .iso, etc) to a CD but instead onto a USB.

Just thought that you should know. I rarely have any issues with md5sum mishaps so I don't know how others have that happen :?
Rex Bouwense

Post by Rex Bouwense »

Good point, however there are many reasons why an external usb cd will not install. The most obvious are a bad burn or a bad download. Low or some bad RAM is another reason. I have seldom had a bad download but it does happen. Bad burns are more common especially when the disk is burned at higher speeds. At least that is from my experience.
Rex