LXDE on Ubuntu 12.04 mini w/Remastersys & bash script?

All questions and problems regarding the installation and upgrades of LXDE from USB Stick, Live CD or Web.
c4c01

Re: LXDE on Ubuntu 12.04 mini w/Remastersys & bash script?

Post by c4c01 »

Okay, sorry for my absence from this thread the last couple of days. I set up two more machines for folks in the interim. I'll get into more specifics and hopefully get more advice.

Although I really liked ubuntu minimal + lxde(-core), I could never seem to make it work with lightdm and ended up having to use gdm. Then I installed so much of Lubuntu-like stuff, it just seemed easier to use Lubuntu in the first place and get lxde and lightdm already. Plus, while we had previously been removing chromium-browser on Lubuntu installs (replacing it with firefox); the most recent additions to our games make chromium pretty much a requirement.

To create the live cd, I've tried remastersys several times and it's just not working for me. I'm now trying to make the live cd by hand so to speak - using commands copied from the LiveCdCustomizationFromScratch [https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveC ... romScratch] page at the Ubuntu Community Help Wiki.

I'm using Lubuntu 12.04 Desktop install for the computers I'm setting up for people currently. I'm stripping unneeded items (abiword, audacious, gnome mplayer, gnumeric, notification-daemon, penguin canfield, sylpheed) and installing catfish, diodon, gimp, gnash, gthumb, libreoffice, vlc, xfce4-notifyd, plus more listed below.

Although I was asked above what games I've installed, I failed to include our own must-install games - well over 100 (but only 17.1 MB all together) that are an absolute must in the live cd.

Other must-install applications are Bible Desktop (which runs on Java - making that a must too), diatheke, verse, xiphos, and our selections from Sword; pre-indexed Bibles, commentaries, dictionaries and maps (167 MB). Although I already listed it, Gnash is also a requirement. The Wide Margin and Bibledit apps are also desireable, but may be left for the bash script.

We have media that is needed in every install, but can't possibly fit on a live cd; Gospel of John and 1, 2, 3 John teachings on MP3 (644 MB by itself), Christian music on MP3 (244 MB), video OGG and SWF files (60.3 MB). All these would have to go in the Bash script.

So, I'd like figure out how to make a bash script that will either automatically run at or toward the end of a live cd installation, or on first boot. I hope to make it a script that will do a combo of automatic installs (like the must-have media above and large apps like libreoffice and vlc) and an interactive portion that would allow the individual doing the install to choose if they'd like to also include restricted-extras, wine, skype, flash, DVD support... like the perfectminimal script [http://andyduffell.com/techblog/?page_id=396]

I've got some snippests of the script, but even if I had the whole thing done, I wouldn't know where to put it and/or how to make it automatically run from a live cd, or how to make it auto-run on the first boot. Am I missing something obvious? Is there a how-to for this anyone knows of?

Here one the several snippets:

# Download the MP3s.
wget http://?????/music.tar.gz;

# Extract the MP3s
tar -xvf ./*gz;

# Move MP3s to Music
sudo mv ./* /Music;

# Delete the downloaded file
sudo rm -rf /music.tar.gz;

Thanks in advance for any ideas/information that may help me move forward.
c4c01

Post by c4c01 »

Since I've now changed from LXDE to Lubuntu-core and it's sort of up in the air as to if I'll even be using Remastersys to create a Live CD... I will make further inquiries in the Ubuntu Forums. Thanks for the responses to this!
c4c01

Post by c4c01 »

I ended up using Remastersys after all and made a DVD-size (2.3 GB) Lubuntu 12.10 ReSpin we've successfully installed on several computers now. No need for an extras installer bash script at the end as I just put everything we needed on there. The iso was uploaded to http://computers4christians.org/ on 01/13/13. :D Thank you!