No (Fake) Transparency in LXPanel

All questions and problems regarding the installation and upgrades of LXDE from USB Stick, Live CD or Web.
OpenBox

No (Fake) Transparency in LXPanel

Post by OpenBox »

I just reloaded LXDE but can't get the fake transparency in LXPanel. I also installed Conky and can't get it transparent.

Never had the issue before, what am I missing?
seppalta

Re: No (Fake) Transparency in LXPanel

Post by seppalta »

I'm not sure what you mean by "fake transparency", but I will speculate a couple of things. To have a transparent background, or, in effect, no background, right click the panel, choose Panel Preferences>Appearance, check Solid color and click the checkered square to bring up the Pick a Color box. There, slide the Opacity slider to the far-left position so that the number in the box after it reads 0.

More panel characteristics can be configured by choosing Panel Preferences>Advanced. In particular, by unchecking the two boxes under Properties, open windows will be put over the panel.
OpenBox

Re: No (Fake) Transparency in LXPanel

Post by OpenBox »

seppalta wrote:I'm not sure what you mean by "fake transparency", but I will speculate a couple of things. To have a transparent background, or, in effect, no background, right click the panel, choose Panel Preferences>Appearance, check Solid color and click the checkered square to bring up the Pick a Color box. There, slide the Opacity slider to the far-left position so that the number in the box after it reads 0.
This is precisely what I've done. I was under the impression it was known as Fake Transparency. Anyway it doesn't seem to work. I can't get the panel to be transparent. I've tried this under LXDE and, OpenBox running lxpanel.

I've also run xcompmgr on the same system as above and after a quick flash of the screen no effects are applied. I'm thinking these problems are all related.