Autologin Procedure

All questions and problems regarding the installation and upgrades of LXDE from USB Stick, Live CD or Web.
omgomgwtfbbq

Re: Autologin Procedure

Post by omgomgwtfbbq »

At this point I have pretty much come to the conclusion that there are only two possibilities:

(1) There is a bug in the autologin feature on the most recent distribution of lxdm with LXDE
(2) All currently available documentation on the most recent distribution of lxdm with LXDE is either simply incorrect or out-of-date
omgomgwtfbbq

Post by omgomgwtfbbq »

UPDATE: I might have figured out the problem. I'm reinstalling the OS from scratch to test my theory.

I figured out how to auto-login to the command line. When I did that I was able to see the error message. When the OS immediately loaded up LXDE I never saw that message.

And it may be the key to everything.
omgomgwtfbbq

Post by omgomgwtfbbq »

Problem solved. I'll write up a bit more about it later. But I just wanted to let the forum know that I've figured out the issue and no one has to spin their wheels on it anymore. Thank you!
Rex Bouwense

Post by Rex Bouwense »

Great!! When you post the solution, be sure and check the green arrow indicating solved. I love it when a plan comes together.
Rex
omgomgwtfbbq

Post by omgomgwtfbbq »

If anyone's interested, here's the procedure I used to create a fully working LXDE box with autologin! My error should be readily apparent in the first couple of lines. :p

--Create New VirtualBox for 32-bit Ubuntu
--Install Ubuntu Server 12.04.2 32-bit (Do not use any encryption)
--Attach VBoxGuestAdditions.iso to VirtualBox and remove other controllers
--Login

sudo bash
apt-get update
apt-get upgrade

apt-get install dkms

apt-get install build-essential
apt-get install linux-headers-generic
apt-get install xserver-xorg
apt-get install xserver-xorg-core

mount /dev/cdrom1 /mnt
cd /mnt
sh ./VBoxLinuxAdditions.run

--Reboot

sudo bash
apt-get install lxde
nano /etc/lxdm/lxdm.conf
--Comment out autologin line and replace username, save file

--Reboot

--Select Monitor Settings in Preferences and change resolution to "Auto"
--Resize Screen

--Shutdown and clone VirtualBox, retaining this as the base 32-bit LXDE VirtualBox.

--------------------

The issue was that I encrypted my files when I did the initial installation. I did this out of habit and totally forgot that they were encrypted. When I was able to figure out how to auto-login my previous box to the command line (by modifying the tty1 config file), I got the error: "Signature not found in user keyring". I couldn't see this error when the box was going directly into LXDE and then failing. Once I saw this error I remembered the encryption. So I started over from scratch and made sure not to use the encryption. After that, everything else quickly fell into place. :)

To be honest I don't regret the time that I spent on this. I learned a tremendous amount about Linux and how LXDE works in the process.

I appreciate everyone's help, especially Rex's!

Thank you and have a fantastic day!