changing to LXDE desktop

All questions and problems regarding the installation and upgrades of LXDE from USB Stick, Live CD or Web.
tunnel

changing to LXDE desktop

Post by tunnel »

Noob question here: I need to change a Debian KDE to a LXDE. Can someone here point me to a good guide? I have never change one before. Thanks.
Rex Bouwense

Re: changing to LXDE desktop

Post by Rex Bouwense »

I've never done that before and have done little more than play around with Debian. That said which version are you using? Do you want to remove all of the KDE (plus dependencies) or do you want to be able to choose which DE at boot? If the first is your choice then you may consider a re-install. If the second is your choice, check Synaptc. I believe that that LXDE was in there. An other option is the Debian forums. Someone may have done that and posted results there.

http://forums.debian.net/
Rex
seppalta

Post by seppalta »

My hobby is after market LXDE desktops. It is very easy to do:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install lxde-core
Reboot and choose lxde or lxsession when prompted. You can also install lxde-core from Synaptic. If you do not intend to keep KDE, it is better to install a new operating system with lxde desktop. KDE is too bloated to remove easily. For more information read the introduction section of http://lxlinux.com/ and the aftermarket lxde guides found in the links therein.
rayzer

Post by rayzer »

from my own experience of installing new desktops i think its better to do a fresh install of the lxde edition of your distro or if it doesnt have one then install it right after you install your distro.
Rex Bouwense

Post by Rex Bouwense »

+1 rayzer (unless of course you want to be able to switch between the desktops).
Rex