how to not default to lxde

All questions and problems regarding the installation and upgrades of LXDE from USB Stick, Live CD or Web.
jfitchett

how to not default to lxde

Post by jfitchett »

I have a server i need to support where no gui was installed. I want to use a gui sometimes rather than command line for apps like a browser. I found LXDE and to see if it would work for me I made a vbox with Ubuntu Mini, command line only system. I then download LXDE and installed it and rebooted and i have a wonderful interface. However, all the others who use the system want the command line only. Can i somehow set my login only to use LXDE or set everyone to not use it and launch it by hand? I will be using the server over ssh if that raises any flags.

Thankyou, jfitchett
Lew_Rockwell_fan

Re: how to not default to lxde

Post by Lew_Rockwell_fan »

I might easily be wrong but I suspect if you uninstall the "display manager" (seems like a silly thing to call a graphical login manager, but such is the custom) you'll get what you want. Everybody logs in normally in a windowless "console" or "tty". Then anyone who wants to use the graphical environment enters the command

Code: Select all

startx
Your display manager is probably lightdm, so

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get purge lightdm
should get rid of it. If not, try using synaptic and search the term "display manager" -- maybe you've something else.