Policikit / lxpolkit

All questions and problems regarding the installation and upgrades of LXDE from USB Stick, Live CD or Web.
Nickko

Policikit / lxpolkit

Post by Nickko »

Hi,

I'm installing LXDE on Ubuntu. I have tried 2 alternative, LXDE meta package and LUbuntu.
First, with LXDE only, I can't launch application like synaptic who need administrative privileges.

When I install policykit-1-gnome I get a window asking root password.

If I look into LUbuntu, the windows si different and appear even if I uninstall policykit-1-gnome.

How can I reproduce the Lubuntu behaviour ?

Second question, I have tried to install LXpolkit but after install and reboot nothing appends when I tri to launch synaptic.
Can I use LXpolkit instead of policykit-1-gnome ?

Thanks
Nickko
Attachments
Image 1.png
Left : LXDE only / Right : Lubuntu
(46.71 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Rex Bouwense

Re: Policikit / lxpolkit

Post by Rex Bouwense »

The password that is being asked for is your password. It will give you admin/root privileges for a short period of time. It is just a check on your system.
By the way, welcome to the LXDE forum. Glad to have you on board.
Rex
drooly

Post by drooly »

hello nickko,

incidentally just yesterday i had a problem with that and can give a partial explanation:

in your screenshot, the window on the right is part of policykit or polkit, and is called with "pkexec".
the one on the left is most probably gksu or gksudo.

now many *buntu applications use "pkexec" in their .desktop files (those are executed when you open an app from the menu).
on my system, pkexec/polkit is not working as expected - nothing happened when i opened e.g. synaptic from the menu.
the problem is, i wasn't able to find out what and why.

my conclusion:
don't use polkit.
i had to edit a few .desktop files in /usr/share/applications and replace pkexec with gksu.

a small warning: synaptic (and gparted and maybe other apps, too) uses a shellscript oneliner called "synaptic-pkexec", which only contains the line "pkexec synaptic $@". god knows why. :roll:
Nickko

Post by Nickko »

Thanks drooly, but on the screen shoot, the to windows are called by synaptic-pkexec.
And on the left, I think it's policylik-1-gnome because if it not installed, the window not appear.
drooly

Post by drooly »

ok, this is actually important information for me. thanks.
Nickko

Post by Nickko »

I have found the explanation :[url=http://âpp.com/Hfql][img]http://âpp.com/dl/HfqlM[/img][/url] Left = Ubuntu mini + LXDE / right Lubuntu.

I have see default app for LXsession, in field policikit agent, in Lubuntu it's written LXpolkit. and in Ubuntu mini + LXDE, the field is empty by default.

If I install policykit-1-gnome, it automatically fulfil policikit agent, but not LXpolkit, I must do it manually like you can see in screenshoot.
Attachments
LXpolkit.png
Left = Ubuntu mini + LXDE / right Lubuntu
(88.27 KiB) Not downloaded yet