No desktop using Lubuntu Live CD

All questions and problems regarding the installation and upgrades of LXDE from USB Stick, Live CD or Web.
finebyme

No desktop using Lubuntu Live CD

Post by finebyme »

Hello. This is my first post.

I have a Lubuntu 14.10 64 bit live USB which boots fine into a laptop, but on a desktop PC it hangs after selecting 'Try without installing' from the boot menu. When I say 'hangs', I mean the Lubuntu loading menu shows for a while, but then I am faced with a distorted graphical desktop. My only option in such a case is PC restart. I use Alt+PrtSc+REISUB for a safe restart.

I tried setting nomodeset option in the F6 commands, but no change. Same thing happens. I tried 'startx' and it goes into a black screen forever. I tried to select 'Install' (second line from the boot menu) and use a previous posted suggestion to close the window at language selection, but no change. Same thing happens.

I had a similar problem with Linux Mint, but there I was able to add 'nomodeset' (pressed a space before nomodeset) at the end of the text which appeared after I pressed a key when first countdown appeared and then I could boot normally.

This seems to be an issue some Nvidia graphic cards have. Mine is a GeForce 240. Are there any known safe fixes/workarounds for booting properly into a graphical desktop?

I would welcome any good help. Thank you.
Rex Bouwense

Re: No desktop using Lubuntu Live CD

Post by Rex Bouwense »

Welcome to the LXDE forum. I have started a new thread for you since the original post is almost 4 years old and is talking about a version of Lubuntu that is no longer supported and has reached End Of Life. You will probably get more attention if a new thread is started.

I did a quick Googlubuntu search and found this:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2266640
Information found there should solve your problem.
Rex
drooly

Re: No desktop using Lubuntu Live CD

Post by drooly »

this thread is getting a little old, but i thought i'd offer help anyhow.

i think you're right that your problem is graphic card/driver related.
but it can't hurt to tell us more about the machine.
finebyme wrote:I tried 'startx' and it goes into a black screen forever.
does this mean you have a command line?
if so, try

Code: Select all

lspci -k | grep -iA5 vga
and post the output.

and if you could get a hold of the xorg logs after executing startx? those would be very helpful for troubleshooting this.