Vote on the system best suited for the translation of LXDE

Questions concerning translating LXDE into other languages. If you would like to help with translating, an easy way to start is to help translating wiki pages . Please also join the translation project and translation mailing list..

What is the best system for the translation of LXDE?

Poll ended at Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:11 pm

Launchpad
7%
Transifex @ fedorahosted.org
No votes
Transifex hosted at LXDE.org
93%

Total votes: 14

Mario Behling

Vote on the system best suited for the translation of LXDE

Post by Mario Behling »

With the increase of LXDE components and the ongoing development of LXDE the need for a better translation system has increased. We discussed different option in this forum here: http://forum.lxde.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=35

Links:
Transifex: http://transifex.org
Launchpad: https://launchpad.net

Some quotes from the forum:
cwickert:Launchpad
Pros:

* large user base, this means a lot of potential translators
* beginner-friendly

Cons:

* bad workflow for getting translations upstream
* getting translations into a a new release requires manual intervention: It has to be downloaded from launchpad and added to LXDE's SVN.
* known to produce bad translations. This is the downside of being beginner-friendly

Transifex
Pros:

* More professional
* works with nearly every VCS: CVS, SVN, git, ...
* Translations are automagically pushed back to upstream's VCS

Cons:

* Requires ether to be set up on a server (which also mean maintainance) or to use fedorahosted.org
* Smaller userbase
Elias: I think Transifex is better for this project, because the development of LXDE is not made in Launchpad. Launchpad is not (afaik) so flexible than Transifex.
cwickert: If we use fedorahosted we are bound to the Fedora accounts system (just like we are bound to Launchpad user management), if we setup our own transifex we can manage users ourselves more easily.
ogmaciel: I'd like to support the idea of using Transifex and host it with Fedora projects (unless someone has the time and hardware/bandwith). All pros/cons already cited are a pretty good list but the one that imho is the most important is the fact that translations should always be done upstream, and then trickle down to distros. Transifex plus a good quality control process before committing files (more about that later) will allow for a quick, efficient, and top quality translation process.
melodie

Re: Vote on the system best suited for the translation of LXDE

Post by melodie »

Hi,

I just wanted to take a few seconds to point to a place where several desktop files have been translated in several languages. I don't know what place is best suitable for workflows and so, but at PCLinuxOS we have decided to use our own forum, at least for now and for some time, until a big translation team be formed (which is not close to be reached yet).

Here are the translations, if someone in charge here wants to take hold on them, welcome !
[-T-]lxtask.desktop
[-T-]lxterminal.desktop
[-T-]lxrandr.desktop
[-T-]lxdecc.desktop
[-T-]lxsession-edit.desktop
[-T-]lxinput.desktop
[-T-]lxappearance.desktop
[-T-]lxcursor.desktop
[-T-]lxautostart.desktop
[-T-]PCManFM home.desktop

If there is a more relevant place for this somewhere on Lxde forum, please apologise that I didn't see it...
maces

Post by maces »

Hi,

you could also post this on the LXDE translation mailing list.

maces
melodie

Post by melodie »

maces wrote:Hi,

you could also post this on the LXDE translation mailing list.

maces

Hi,

I just subscribed. I'll try to post about it next.