Kudos to lubuntu/lxde team!

Questions concerning LXDE themes, interface design, posters, logos and images. If you would like to help with design related tasks of LXDE, please join the Design Project and subscribe to the design mailing list.
mr.xulu

Kudos to lubuntu/lxde team!

Post by mr.xulu »

Hi! I'm very new in the Linux world. I installed ubuntu 10.04 just last week and I installed the lubuntu desktop environment on it over the weekend.

I have to say the lubuntu desktop is the most elegant desktop in its simplicity in my opinion. I think the blue and grey theme is beautiful as well as the icon designs on the lower right panel.

Plus it's less straining to my eyes. Very important for when i have to use the computer for long periods of time.

I also appreciate the lubuntu netbook environment in that i can still access the menus on the lower left without it having to entirely cover whatever i'm working on at the moment.

Congratulations! :)
edward

Re: Kudos to lubuntu/lxde team!

Post by edward »

I installed the basic LXDE packages for Ubuntu using apt-get install lxde. What does the lubuntu-desktop package install?
Debian Sid - LXDE
jiangshi

Re: Kudos to lubuntu/lxde team!

Post by jiangshi »

Rather than start a new thread, I will post my kudos for the LXDE team here. I am using LXDE on Fedora 16, installed on both 32 and 64 bit machines. I am very much liking LXDE. Perhaps I should end this here, but I think the LXDE development team should know why I like LXDE. I've used Linux for man years. I started with SuSE and KDE and then changed over to Ubuntu and Gnome after Novell started clobbering the disto. I found Gnome attractive after KDE "added more features" to the point that sliding menus and an unintuitive gui meant a lot more clicking and clicking and ... bah! Today, Gnome wants to look like Apple instead of Linux and sadly, so does Xfce. Linux should look like Linux, and not like Windows or Mac! LXDE looks like Linux, and more importantly, appears to embody the idea that less can be more. It is very important to keep the focus on improvement where improvement means streamlining functionality and not adding features just to be adding features. In a perfect world, the OS and its user interface would be almost invisible. Think of it this way: if the job is to go into the back yard and dig a hole, where should the focus be - on the shovel or the hole? If the user has to spend more time than necessary playing with the shovel, then perhaps the design is not so good. Most computer users could care less about what is under the hood. All they really want to do is use their applications. To be sure, some of us are more interested in the shovel and like playing with it, but that should not be driving the design. Again, the LXDE team seems to understand this dynamic.

I will end this by saying "Thank you!!" for creating LXDE!

~jiangshi
No idea is so great that an organization cannot murder it. - Richard Bach, author "Jonathan Livingston Seagull" et al.