Sounds, music, audio

Questions concerning LXDE themes, interface design, posters, logos and images. If you would like to help with design related tasks of LXDE, please join the Design Project and subscribe to the design mailing list.
megadurp

Sounds, music, audio

Post by megadurp »

Hi, I was wondering if you guys need some sort of audio theme ? I know the goal is to keep things light, so I was thinking I could use 'sox' to convert the themes/sounds to smaller bit rates to accommodate the low resource philosophy. 8-bit mono can still sound good. Let me know what you think. I would like to make a theme anyway, maybe an 8bit one and maybe a few lush ones. I'm not sure if a WM would come with sounds though, maybe thats OS specific ?
amjjawad

Re: Sounds, music, audio

Post by amjjawad »

megadurp wrote:Hi, I was wondering if you guys need some sort of audio theme ? I know the goal is to keep things light, so I was thinking I could use 'sox' to convert the themes/sounds to smaller bit rates to accommodate the low resource philosophy. 8-bit mono can still sound good. Let me know what you think. I would like to make a theme anyway, maybe an 8bit one and maybe a few lush ones. I'm not sure if a WM would come with sounds though, maybe thats OS specific ?
Hello and Welcome to LXDE Forum :)

I'm not a developer but I think this is more into OS Topic than LXDE Topic. However, you can check with the developer online if you're really interested: http://wiki.lxde.org/en/IRC_Chat

Not to rain on your parade but LXDE is designed to be as light as possible and I'm not really sure if the Sound Idea will help but again, if you're interested, talk to the developer or pick one of the Distributions and offer your help :)

I'm also a member of Lubuntu Team. Last night, I received an email via the mailing list and someone was offering the same idea ... for the first moment I thought it's you but the username is different :)
Feel Free to contact me: http://amjjawad.net
rokytnji

Post by rokytnji »

I've customized the startup sounds in my AntiX installs, but in Fluxbox and Icewm only so far. I haven't got around to learning yet how this is done in LXDE yet. I am a plodder though so when I get around to it. I will post results like I did in this thread.

http://antix.freeforums.org/custom-icew ... t2404.html
Amrel RT 786ex 1.6ghz, 512MB ram , AntiX 8.5 core, Biker Linux user # 475019
Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way
My AntiX LXDE Install
rokytnji

Post by rokytnji »

I downloaded my uploaded zip files in my posted link above and unzipped them with xarchiver in /home/harry/sounds.

Then opened pcmanfm as root with gexec and went to /etc/xdg/lxsession/lxde/autostart

Code: Select all

@lxpanel --profile LXDE
@pcmanfm --desktop --profile LXDE
@xscreensaver -no-splash
@/usr/lib/policykit-1-gnome/polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1
@conky
@aplay /home/harry/sounds/hog1.ogg
Placing it in ~/.config/openbox/startup did not do any good (would not play on re-login). Plays ok on Login in /etc/xdg/lxsession/lxde/autostart

To test any startup sound you wish to use. Open a terminal and

harry@Biker:~$ aplay /home/harry/sounds/startup4.wav
Playing WAVE '/home/harry/sounds/startup4.wav' : Unsigned 8 bit, Rate 22050 Hz, Mono
harry@Biker:~$ 
My distro uses aplay on this AntiX 8.5 core iso LXDE install. Yours might use

play
instead.
Amrel RT 786ex 1.6ghz, 512MB ram , AntiX 8.5 core, Biker Linux user # 475019
Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way
My AntiX LXDE Install