show windows from all desktops

The standard panel of LXDE - http://wiki.lxde.org/en/LXPanel
maxchen

show windows from all desktops

Post by maxchen »

Lubuntu 14.04.1, with LXPanel 0.7.0 and compiz

in the Task Bar (Window List), the option "show windows from all desktops" seems not work! fail to disable showing all windows from other desktop/viewport?
The desktop pager works fine, it shows 3 desktops corresponding to 3 viewports of compiz.

my settings:
Preference > Default applications for LXSession: LXsession confiuration -> core applications -> windows Manager "compiz ccp"
compiz settings: general options ->Destop size: 'Horizontal Virtual Size' 3 'Vertical Virtual Size' 1 also, enable Rotate Cube (and Window Decoration, Annotate, Move window, Resize Window. In fact I user compiz for its Annotate plugin for free draw on screen)

Remarks: on compiz
1 Plugins such as 'Desktop Cube' and 'Desktop Wall' are incompatible with standard workspaces. They must use Compiz's viewports. For the 'Desktop Cube' plugin to work properly, the 'Vertical Virtual Size' and 'Number of Desktops' must be set to 1. The 'Horizontal Virtual Size' should be set to 4 if you want a cube shape. Setting the 'Horizontal Virtual Size' to another value will result in a different shape being created. Set the value to 2 if you want a desktop plane.
2 As of Compiz 0.9.11 (revision 3857) the 'Number of Desktops' option has been removed from CCSM.
drooly

Re: show windows from all desktops

Post by drooly »

hello maxchen,

compiz & lxde is an exciting and non-standard combination, but i'm sure we will do our best to help you to make it work.

when you post to linux forums and ask for help, stating that "it does not work" is generally not helpful.

you have to show us. usually with some sort of error output and a very clear description of the problem.

the way you describe it, i'm not even sure if you want to show windows from all desktops or if you don't want to show windows from all desktops and how exactly that fails.

edit: this post makes it a little clearer.
maxchen

Post by maxchen »

thanks for the kind reply, and sorry for my insufficient information.

I use compiz for its plugin Annotation. For I am a teacher, and free drawing on the screen (desktop, not on a particular application) is very helpful during my lectures.

Task Bar (Window List) in LXpanel 0.7.0, the option "show windows from all desktops": when compiz is the windows manager, no matter uncheck or not, all windows from all viewport are shown on task bar. If the windwos manager is switch back to openbox, it works as expected.

I guest: when using compiz, there is one desktop and 3 viewports (corresponding to standard workspace of desktop of LXDE). The Desktop Pager in LXPanel 0.7.0 works, who show 3 desktops (viewport in compiz). However, the "show windows from all desktops" option of Task Bar seems not aware that there is viewports when compiz is active.

Note that :
1 LXsession configuration /core applications -> Windows Manager from openbox to "compiz ccp" to enable compiz. If it is switch back to openbox, the option "show windows from all desktops" is fine
2 sudo apt-get install compiz compiz-plugins compiz-plugins-extra compizconfig-settings-manager compiz-plugins-main , and have window decorations, resize window, and move window plugins enabled, also Annotate plugin and rotate cube effect
drooly

Post by drooly »

first of all, i never used compiz.

do compiz' viewports correspond to the workspaces as defined in ~/.config/openbox/rc.xml (<desktops>) or obconf (Openbox configuration settings)?

if they do, then i would say lxpanel does not behave as it should.

in any case you should research both compiz and lxpanel documentation, forum posts, bug reports for the issue.

maybe you can just use a different panel? i recommend xfce4-panel - minimal dependencies (don't install recommends!) and generally a very sturdy and lightweight piece of software.

hey, lookee here:
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php ... 04#p987904
3 years old already.
maxchen

Post by maxchen »

thanks so much!

Yeah, I am trying Ubuntu 14.04.1 + Xfce4 (4.11) + compiz (0.9.11), everything works smoothly.
Note that
sudo apt-get install unity-tweak-tool gnome-tweak-tool

and use unity-tweak-tool to change theme, otherwise, the titlebar will not change when change theme by Appearance (xfce setting) . what's more, it can align the min/max/close buttons to the right. which is great.
drooly

Post by drooly »

???

how does this relate to your thread title & first post?