Dual monitor setup: panel on 1 monitor

The standard panel of LXDE - http://wiki.lxde.org/en/LXPanel
Harold

Dual monitor setup: panel on 1 monitor

Post by Harold »

I've just installed Lubuntu and I'm impressed! Everything feels really snappy, even when compared to Xfce/Xubuntu.

I just got a few "issues" with my dual monitor setup.

How can I place a panel on one monitor, without losing space on the second one? If I set a top-left panel to be 1280px wide, the second monitor gets an unusable margin of the panel's height...

Am I doing something wrong or isn't this implemented yet?
Marty Jack

Re: Dual monitor setup: panel on 1 monitor

Post by Marty Jack »

We have no developer with multiple monitors, so it is not possible at this time to work on this.
Harold

Post by Harold »

Marty Jack wrote:We have no developer with multiple monitors, so it is not possible at this time to work on this.
Hmmm... That's a pity. (understatement :!: ) I guess I don't have to report the fact that LXDM doesn't support multiple monitors too... ;)

Well, this renders LXDE somewhat useless/annoying/etc on both my work and home desktops. Too bad, I really liked it...
Harold

Post by Harold »

Marty Jack wrote:We have no developer with multiple monitors, so it is not possible at this time to work on this.
A somewhat more constructive reaction would be: What can I do to aid in finding/funding a programmer that can add multi-monitor support to LXDE? All I can do in this process is compile and test early builds but I'm only a webdev so I can't help with the code itself...
Frank

Post by Frank »

Harold wrote:If I set a top-left panel to be 1280px wide, the second monitor gets an unusable margin of the panel's height...
Does it help if you make the panel less than 100% wide?
Harold

Post by Harold »

Frank wrote:
Harold wrote:If I set a top-left panel to be 1280px wide, the second monitor gets an unusable margin of the panel's height...
Does it help if you make the panel less than 100% wide?
Setting the top-left panel to 1279px solved the annoying margin on the second monitor! Maximizing a window uses all available space again. 8-)

Thanx Frank!
Frank

Post by Frank »

You're welcome :)

I suspected an off-by-one error in one of the programs involved (the panel, or the window manager, or both). Apparently that is so.
Harold

Post by Harold »

Frank wrote:I suspected an off-by-one error in one of the programs involved (the panel, or the window manager, or both). Apparently that is so.
Is there a place I should report this bug?
Frank

Post by Frank »

Harold wrote:Is there a place I should report this bug?
There are places, but in my view there is not much point in reporting, because you cannot clearly identify the culprit (panel, or window manager).

If you want to do it nevertheless:

The bug-tracker for lxpanel (and most other components of LXDE) is here. Note that the chief programmer of lxpanel is Marty Jack; you have his answer already. If your window manager happens to be OpenBox, then instructions for bug-reporting can be found here. And finally, Lubuntu probably have a bug-tracker for the distribution as a whole, but I don't know where.
Marty Jack

Post by Marty Jack »

A bug report is always a good idea even if you do not know the cause, so that the issue is preserved for a time when it can be worked on.

I would be sure to identify the window manager and version, if you think it might be related to window manager, and then someone who has a different one can add their findings to help narrow it down.