Network Traffic monitor on panel: Byte On Panel

The standard panel of LXDE - http://wiki.lxde.org/en/LXPanel
barbo

Network Traffic monitor on panel: Byte On Panel

Post by barbo »

I found a network traffic monitor program, just like the one in icewm. It's called byteonpanel.

https://bitbucket.org/mozbugbox/byteonpanel

See the green-yellowish icon? enjoy!
rmlazzari

Re: Network Traffic monitor on panel: Byte On Panel

Post by rmlazzari »

Hi, I'm new to this forum, my name is Renato, from Brazil, and I'm just a beginer using Lubuntu in a desktop that belongs to my son Gabriel.
I choose Lubuntu because it is much faster than the previous MS Win7 and is a enourmous advantage being unworried with viruses and lots of commercial anoying advertising. And Lubutu have programs to do everything my son (and I) needs.

This is my hardware/SO configuration:

-Computer-
Processor : 2x Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU E3400 @ 2.60GHz
Memory : 2053MB (495MB used)
Operating System : Ubuntu 15.10
User Name : gabriel (Gabriel)
Date/Time : Ter 10 Mai 2016 12:38:14 BRT

-Version-
Kernel : Linux 4.2.0-36-generic (i686)
Compiled : #41-Ubuntu SMP Mon Apr 18 15:47:56 UTC 2016
C Library : Unknown
Default C Compiler : Unknown
Distribution : Ubuntu 15.10
-Current Session-
Computer Name : gabriel-DK-7529
User Name : gabriel (Gabriel)
Home Directory : /home/gabriel
Desktop Environment : LXDE (Lubuntu)
-Misc-
Uptime : 57 minutes
Load Average : 0,00, 0,00, 0,00

I've downloaded this byteonpanel utily but didn't succed to install in my Lubuntu 15.10. 32 bits.
Can somebody indicate an update alternative? My goal is monitoring my Internet traffic because my conexion isn't that reliable.
I don't realy need estatiscs neither graphics, just to know if my connection is active (because if it is not, what happens all time, it's easy to turn off and turn on the modem to re-syncrhonize). It doesn't means I don't want estatistics, I accept anything witch shows me if the connection is active or not.

In the pict showed above the icon in the tray with two monitors (betwin a paper sheet and an earth icons), if they blink when there is traffic is enough.

Thanks
P.S.: Excuse my not-too-good English, please.
Rex Bouwense

Re: Network Traffic monitor on panel: Byte On Panel

Post by Rex Bouwense »

Welcome to the LXDE forum. I am also a user of Lubuntu. I did check the repositories and could not find the Byte on Panel software that you are trying to install. There are other programs that do the job that I think that you are wanting to do. The web site that you quoted has not been updated in 5 years so I wonder about the ability if that software to run on todays Operating Systems. I am not even sure if it is being actively maintained. If you just want to know if you are connected then all that you need to do is look at the icon on the right side of the LxPanel that looks like an arc with indicators in it. If the indicators are present then you have an active wireless connection. If you are using an ethernet hook up, the connection should look like two plugs connected. If they are connected then you have an active connection.
Rex