PCMANFM vs THUNAR

The dedicated forum for PCMan File Manager - http://wiki.lxde.org/en/PCManFM
mashcaster

PCMANFM vs THUNAR

Post by mashcaster »

Is it possible to remove pcmanfm and replace it with thunar? If yes, how would I go about doing this? Also, is pcmanfm needed for the desktop icons? If so, does thunar provide desktop icons?
dekaru

Re: PCMANFM vs THUNAR

Post by dekaru »

I'ts very easy. just install the package of thunar from synaptic or your package manager. you can use the file administrating capabilities of both at the same time.

in ubuntu, I think Thunar is known to administer the desktop icons, though I have a problem right now because I unchecked the "Let LXFCE manage my desktop" option and I can't seem to turn it back on... any help on how to do this?

cheers
dekaru

Post by dekaru »

PCManFM seemed just slightly faster than Thunar.. yet I choose Thunar because it has better (actually, because it HAS) keyboard shortcuts for the side panel and the actual view. You can also change the size of the icons/thumbnails with the mousewheel.

The set of custom actions is more or less the same, maybe a bit better organized in PCmanFM but the overall features are just about the same. Pcmanfm is just too similar to Windows Explorer.
mashcaster

Post by mashcaster »

So if I remove pcmanfm and install thunar, will I still have a functional desktop with desktop icons?

For example
sudo aptitude update && sudo aptitude remove pcmanfm && sudo aptitude purge pcmanfm && sudo aptitude install thunar
mashcaster

Post by mashcaster »

Also, will switching to thunar give me a trash icon on the desktop?
litemotiv

Post by litemotiv »

mashcaster: no, thunar does not handle the desktop like pcmanfm does. on xfce this is done by the program xfdesktop.
mashcaster

Post by mashcaster »

So does that mean I will have to install thunar and xfdesktop? Or will have have to install some other stuff too?
litemotiv

Post by litemotiv »

mashcaster wrote:So does that mean I will have to install thunar and xfdesktop?
yes, those two packages should be all you need. xfdesktop has a few dependencies, but they should be installed automatically for you if you're using a package/build manager. also, i don't believe you will automatically get a trashcan icon on your desktop, so you might have to create or edit the file <home dir>/.config/xfce4/desktop/xfdesktoprc and add this:

Code: Select all

[file-icons]
show-filesystem=true
show-home=true
show-trash=true
show-removable=true
on a sidenote, PCManFM is a nice filemanager and it fits well with Lxde, so if trashcan-functionality is all you seek you could also try out something like this.

happy experimenting. ;)
mashcaster

Post by mashcaster »

Interesting link. Yes all I want is a trashcan icon on the desktop or in the panel. It that possible with the technique outlined in the link you provided?
litemotiv

Post by litemotiv »

mashcaster wrote:Interesting link. Yes all I want is a trashcan icon on the desktop or in the panel. It that possible with the technique outlined in the link you provided?
The example in the link will help you create the trashcan functionality itself, for a desktop icon that also shows if the trash is empty or full you would have to create another script.

Here is a rough example for doing that: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p= ... ostcount=9

And here is another topic about (simple) trashcan support: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=244900