Next Generation PCManFM 0.9 Alpha is released!

The dedicated forum for PCMan File Manager - http://wiki.lxde.org/en/PCManFM
arjay

Re: Next Generation PCManFM 0.9 Alpha is released!

Post by arjay »

Updated packages are now in the testing section of pclinuxos repos however I have not got mount working despite following the explicit instructions on the lxde wiki. This gvfs stuff is a real pain in the you know what!
+1

I gave up on this software after numerous failed attempts to get it to run at all (see previous posts). Not getting a reply either here or in other forums from the author didn't help. There are posts from the author in all these forums promoting the product but no replies to problems with its install or use :( Eventually, I took the easy way out and installed Dolphin. Works perfectly for everything including network files etc for very little extra overhead.

Why do people want PCManFM?
maces

Post by maces »

because it works! and is much more lightweight than dolphin/ect.

maces
arjay

Post by arjay »

maces wrote:because it works! and is much more lightweight than dolphin/ect.

maces

I'm sure you are right but only if it works :) :) Also, as I understand it, it still does not allow you to read files on a network which surely is a "must have" facility for most people?
maces

Post by maces »

on my system I've added, beside "gvfs", "gvfs-smb". Now I can access all my SMB drives. I didn't tried it with my NFS drives. But from the preview of the new branch of PCManFM (without gvfs :) ) it works.

maces
arjay

Post by arjay »

maces wrote:on my system I've added, beside "gvfs", "gvfs-smb". Now I can access all my SMB drives. I didn't tried it with my NFS drives. But from the preview of the new branch of PCManFM (without gvfs :) ) it works.

maces

Thanks for the info maces. Maybe, when I have got the time, I'll give it a try
Mark

Post by Mark »

I seem to be having problems running PCManFM2 since upgrading to Ubuntu 10.04
ChildError: Errors from command 'pcmanfm2':
pcmanfm2: error while loading shared libraries: libmenu-cache.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Any solutions?
kgas

Post by kgas »

thanks for the new version and the one option to resize name field is implemented nicely. Presently using only openbox setup, I would like to know how to use the Applications folder (lxmenu-data installed). the os is Arch Linux. Another minor issue is tho' hal is on at startup without dbus-launch pcmanfm volumes are not shown up.
fbobraga

Post by fbobraga »

quasiwango

Post by quasiwango »

I don't want to come across as impatient, or lazy, but...well, er, I guess I am. Anyway, has anyone got any idea when I will be able to move the icons around on the desktop? And, will the new version of pcmanfm let me mount stuff using hal instead of fstab, like wot I can in dolphin and sometimes nautilus (if I shout at it enough).

It's a great file manager, anyway. I look forward to the day when I can stop using KDE and gnome entirely. But I just can't do without moveable icons on the desktop! :-)

Hey, great! Git version now allows moving icons! Slightly unstable (like, I moved an icon off the screen edge and desktop vanished) and a bit quirky (when I try and move an icon slightly, pcmanfm tells me I can't move a directory into itself {yes, I know that, thankyou, I'm just trying to move the icon a little bit...}) and I'm sure there's plenty of other problems I haven't found yet, but it's definitely on the right track!)

Oh, and to answer my own question, yes you can use hal to mount stuff, even internal ntfs volumes, just edit libfm's config file to "show internal volumes" (or something like that)
toketin

Post by toketin »

Hi, is there a way to hide the deskop's icon with pcmanfm? Thanks