Can't view/open ftp files

The dedicated forum for PCMan File Manager - http://wiki.lxde.org/en/PCManFM
i92guboj

Can't view/open ftp files

Post by i92guboj »

Hi.

I am using pcmanfm 1.1.2 with libfm 1.1.4 and gvfs 1.16.4 in Gentoo.

I can connect to my ftp server, and I see my files listed in pcmanfm. But I can't seem to open any of them at all. I have tried txt and jpg/png files so far, but I don't think any other type of file will make a difference, since it seems that the parameter is not passed to the file handler/editor at all. I said so because I have tried running the tools in the terminal.

The behaviour in such cases depends of the concrete tool. Feh tries to open all the files in my home directory. Geany on the other side just opens the last file I had edited which is also in my $HOME.

A doubt I have is how would pcmanfm handle this, anyway... I mean, is pcmanfm supposed to:

a) pass the url (with user and password) to the handler
b) copy the file to local and open it with the handlers, as, let's say, filezilla does?
c) some other thing?

In case b) all should just work. But case a) is more complicated, since it requires that the handler will be able to understand the URI which, unfortunately, is not the norm (much less for ftp, and much less when the user:pass string is included in the URI).

Any help in understanding what's going on will be appreciated.

EDITED: A typo.
LStranger

Re: Can't view/open ftp files

Post by LStranger »

This should have been reported to bug tracker long time ago to be fixed. I'm afraid it is already too late because version 1.2.0 is going to be released soon. You are welcome to install it and test it, for the best as soon as possible. This issue is certainly fixed in new version.

And about your question - it is case (c) - full URI is passed to handler after ftp connection is established but password is not passed, that's gvfs conventions - if handler uses gvfs then it will use already established connection. The (b) is not possible to use in some cases.