Very curious problem - desktop shortcut to games pcmanfm

The dedicated forum for PCMan File Manager - http://wiki.lxde.org/en/PCManFM
jjjmmm10

Very curious problem - desktop shortcut to games pcmanfm

Post by jjjmmm10 »

Greetings! Great site and posters, thanks for the great work!

I have a very curious problem, hopefully someone can help. I need to create a desktop shortcut (debian wheezy lxde) that would link to "menu://applications/Games". I created the link using the following code:

[Desktop Entry]
Type=Application
Icon=applications-games
Name=Games
GenericName=Games
Comment=open games in PCManFM
Categories=FileManager;Utility;Core;GTK;
Exec=pcmanfm menu://applications/Games
StartupNotify=true
Terminal=false
MimeType=x-directory/normal;inode/directory;

Great, the link showed up and works great... or does it?? Well, the link works when it is created, but then the curious problem happens: if I reboot the machine, and (first thing) double click the "Games" shortcut, nothing happens, and PCManFM freezes (does not work when clicking on it). However, if I reboot the machine and double click first on the file manager (PCManFM) and then on the link "Games", all links work!! Funny, no??

I believe that some part of PCManFM needs to be initiated first before the link "Games" can work, but I was unable to figure this out.

Any suggestions/help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
jjjmmm10

Re: Very curious problem - desktop shortcut to games pcmanfm

Post by jjjmmm10 »

Anyone? Please?
jjjmmm10

Post by jjjmmm10 »

:D Ok, I found a workaround:

First, create a new folder called "Games" in your home/username/ folder (or any other location you want).

Then, navigate to /usr/share/applications , select all game icons you want and then select edit>copy at the top of the window to to copy all icons to your new "Games" folder.

Then, create a blank file on desktop, save it as "Games", then open it with leafpad it and paste:

[Desktop Entry]
Type=Application
Icon=applications-games
Name=Games
GenericName=Games
Comment=open games in PCManFM
Categories=FileManager;Utility;Core;GTK;
Exec=pcmanfm /home/username/Games
StartupNotify=true
Terminal=false
MimeType=x-directory/normal;inode/directory;

Save the file and voila! It works and avoids the problems described in this thread.
Rex Bouwense

Post by Rex Bouwense »

Thank you for following up with a solution to your own problem. Answers are always welcome here, but too often when an OP solves the problem, they fail to close the loop. We are greatful that your problem is solved. Stick around if you have the time to provide assistance to others. We are a small forum so all help is good.
Rex
LStranger

Post by LStranger »

You don't need to write any files on desktop - you either drag the Games folder from within PCManFM to desktop, or select that folder and use 'Edit'->'Create Link...' option in the PCManFM main menu. Either way you will get a shortcut on your desktop which can be opened instantly as any other folder on desktop. :)

In case you are curious and want to create the shortcut manually in some text editor, it's content would be much simpler than you wrote above but:

Code: Select all

[Desktop Entry]
Type=Link
Icon=applications-games
Name=Games
URL=menu://applications/Games