pcmanfm - '~' is MyDocuments at desktop?

The dedicated forum for PCMan File Manager - http://wiki.lxde.org/en/PCManFM
litemotiv

Re: pcmanfm - '~' is MyDocuments at desktop?

Post by litemotiv »

firmit wrote: 1) You don't
2) Under LXDE Wiki PRINCIPLE and GUIDELINES: "Consider the conventions of both GNOME and Windows, and try to follow the habit of most users. Do not deliberately make the GUI quite different only because you want to be different from Windows. Usability is always the top one concern. Windows might not be good in some areas, but like it or not, most computer users in the world get used to it. Trying to fight your users is apparently unwise. "

It's on the front page .... it's like the motivation PCMAN has for PCManfm.....
Fortunately i know that hiding/renaming the My Documents-icon is already on the todo-list of PCMan, but apart from this, imho this is very poor advocacy for *nix software.

You say:" "Usability is always the top one concern".

Now read that same line over again a few times and then ask yourself: What is usability?

And don't forget the main unix philosophy: Write programs that do one thing and do it well. In that sense PCManFM isn't even supposed to handle the desktop, it's a file manager isn't it? A dedicated LXDesktop program that does the job right would be a much more sensible approach.

</rant>

Apart from this i think Lxde is doing a swell job, it just needs some polishing here and there, and it definitely doesn't need more "we know what users want" dogmatism. ;)