OpenBox , Default App Window Icon

All questions and problems regarding LXDE components including LXSession, LXAppearance, GPicView, Leafpad, LXTerminal, Xarchiver, LXNM to be discussed here.

For PCManFM questions, please ask in the dedicated forum below.
AndrewPine

OpenBox , Default App Window Icon

Post by AndrewPine »

I've been a huge fan of LXDE , Lubuntu and OpenBox for several years now.

But there has been one things that has bugged me.

When you open a window that does not have it's own dedicated icon (firefox, abiword etc) it shows this icon (shown below) , it's roughly the same icon that shows up when a Microsoft Windows application/window locks up and "stops responding" and is generally not to my taste.

How can I change this? I don't mind if it simply means over-writing .png files etc.

Link to same image: http://s30.postimg.org/eu8hqppf5/Open_Box_Icon.png

Cheers , Andrew
Rex Bouwense

Re: OpenBox , Default App Window Icon

Post by Rex Bouwense »

Welcome to the LXDE forum. Not exactly sure what you want to do but I can give you a starting point.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Lubuntu/Theming#Icons
Rex
AndrewPine

Post by AndrewPine »

Thanks for that I am pretty familiar with LXDE / Lubuntu , and after hours of research I'm fairly sure there's no simple , user friendly , GUI , answer to the question I'm asking.

If I could track down that specific icon file(s) in question (in it's actual folder) and replace them with the one(s) I want that should do the trick.

I found identical icons in /usr/share/pixmaps/ named openbox.png and openbox.xpm but that did not work.
Rex Bouwense

Post by Rex Bouwense »

I believe that the file for icons (for the entire system) is located in /usr/share/icons

Edit:
I found this thread from the Ubuntu Forums which has been marked solved. It may be of use to you.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2037027

Sorry. It didn't take.
Last edited by Rex Bouwense on Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Additional information
Rex
AndrewPine

Post by AndrewPine »

Thanks for the reply , in what folder , the only folders shown in mine (hidden files are viewable) are icon theme packs.
Rex Bouwense

Post by Rex Bouwense »

Which theme are you using? I believe that would be the one you have to edit. In the example that I gave you in my previous post it was user/share/icons/hicolor/apps/ (whatever size you want to chage).
Rex
drooly

Post by drooly »

my suggestion was to try to change /usr/share/pixmaps/openbox.png, but it seems you tried variations of that already?
it says here that you should look in
/usr/share/icons/<current-theme>
/usr/share/app-install/
/usr/share/app-install/icons/
/usr/share/pixmaps

(however i'm not sure what to look for - it could be some sort of "unknown-application" or "default" icon.
my personal experience is that icon themes vary hugely in which icons they offer.)<=not ob-specific

i think openbox (and that would be only the window decorations, and openbox' own menus, which you can't even access on a default lubuntu install) falls back to that default icon only if it cannot find anything matching, and i think there's nothing you can do about it, i.e. its practically hardcoded.

the only thing you can do is to always provide openbox with an icon.
- either by checking each applications .desktop file and
- - either change its icon to one that exists in /usr/share/pixmaps or your current theme
- - or add an icon of that same name to /usr/share/pixmaps
- or use a utility like xseticon, please see here.