Requesting Oroborus as Default WM

Discussion on LXDE releases and Development. This forum is not the best way to contact the developers, please use the Development mailing list and Sourceforge to interact with them.
LindTusk

Requesting Oroborus as Default WM

Post by LindTusk »

A very simple, fast, and lightweight window manager like this is the best choice for LXDE:

1.) Is FAST!: Damn! Oroborus is faster than Openbox. I'm not goning to bore you with benchmarks, test it by yourself (I can testify 67 kb of ram)

2.) Is Tiny and simple: Oroborus is just a window manager, don't try to get a root menu, or binding commands to hotkey (There are much better applications for these purposes, they suggets KeyLaunch and DeskMenu). That minimalistic wm is very simple,clean and well coded(it is even coded in the same style expressed at http://wiki.lxde.org/en/Design_Principles)

3.) Isn't a repeated effort: Oroborus doesn't repeat the capabilities provided by, (just an example) PCManFM, doesn't bother with the menu; and doesn't provide a startup mechanism(to me, thats awesome, having already a LXDE Session and a very short LXDM session list)

4)Looks good: 'Nuff said

However, it lacks some features (which i wish you could fix)

-Lack of standart compliance
-Lack of a good configuration GUI

I'm Latinoamerican, my English is pretty awful, so if i'm not clear, pardon me.
V10lator

Re: Requesting Oroborus as Default WM

Post by V10lator »

Is oroborus still maintained? The website looks a little bit death.
If not: Maybe the LXDE devs could make a fork (lxwm ;))

P.S.
This forum is not the best way to contact the developers, please use the Development mailing list and Sourceforge to interact with them.
Mark

Post by Mark »

Oroborus has already provided the basis for Xfwm (Xfce window manager) and OroboROX (ROXDE window manager), so despite the original being, seemingly, dead in the water it's still lives on through its children.

So I agree with V10later, let's get someone working on a dedicated window manager for LXDE based around Oroborus. Every other Desktop Environment has one (Mutter, Kwin, the aforementioned Xfwm and OroboROX), so it's an obvious step.
Tipsacon

Post by Tipsacon »

So I agree with V10later, let's get someone working on a dedicated window manager for LXDE based around Oroborus
It will be a good step forward.