TV Capture software

Please post all general support questions for LXDE here.
rk4262

TV Capture software

Post by rk4262 »

Hi, I'm running Lubuntu 14.04 on an old pentium 4, 512mb, desktop. Sadly under powered I know, but it already sits next to the tv for my 8 y/o to do educational things on, and I would rather not tie up a laptop unless I have to. I use Dish Network as my tv provider, I also have a generic EasyCap usb capture device, and a little over a year ago I had another old desktop setup to record the movies we had on our DVR, everything worked great under XP, until the pc died. Now I am trying to things set back up under Lubuntu and I'm having a little trouble getting things to work just right. I have double checked the connections and they appear to be right, but when opening MPlayer all I can get is a green screen. I have searched through synaptic searching for any drivers, or other add-on's that might help with this, and have yet to find anything that helps. I would rather not have to start over with MythTV, or XBMC. The capture device is recognized and shows a driver installed, from what I can tell. I have tried to make sure the connections are correct as it seems that is the problem, but it doesn't matter if I use the RCA wire's connection, or the S-video cable connection, or both, I can not get the tv picture on the pc. Would anyone have any suggestions as to what I might try, either to troubleshoot what I have or a different software all together. I just don't want to load a lot of bloat on this pc as I know it will barely pull Ubuntu/Gnome, with all video effects turned off, I don't know how it ever pulled Vista. Seems rather quick and responsive under Lubuntu, but I know it can't handle much more. However the other pc I used for this was actually a XP Pentium 3, 256mb, so I know this one will work if I get the right software, I can not remember what software I was using last time.
Rex Bouwense

Re: TV Capture software

Post by Rex Bouwense »

Welcome to the LXDE forum. I moved your thread to the General Support section of Techical Support since you are technically not presenting a How TO. Besides you might get more attention there.
Rex
rk4262

Post by rk4262 »

Rex Bouwense wrote:Welcome to the LXDE forum. I moved your thread to the General Support section of Techical Support since you are technically not presenting a How TO. Besides you might get more attention there.

Thank you, I was confused as to the correct spot.
Kadivnai

Post by Kadivnai »

We have a generic Student login for all computers. It is called LA Student. We use Google Apps and have set the lubuntu up to be as much like a chrome device as we can.
Rex Bouwense

Post by Rex Bouwense »

Welcome to the LXDE forum Kadivnai. Not sure if you have assisted the OP with his problem.
rk4262, what are you trying to do? Play a movie (that is stored on the computer) on the TV? Perhaps a little more information would provide some possible solutions.
Rex