Strange desktop behaviour when using external monitor

Problems with hardware & laptops not being detected or supported during or after install.
Pugmaster

Re: Strange desktop behaviour when using external monitor

Post by Pugmaster »

That's how I configured Arandr:
2013-03-01-112414_1680x1050_scrot.png
(441.32 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Two desktops in one:
2013-02-20-170950_1680x1050_scrot.png
(261.86 KiB) Not downloaded yet
If I create a file on one of the "desktops" it appears on the other, too. If I delete it, it disappears on the other...
Clicking on one of the desktops brings it into the foreground.
seppalta

Post by seppalta »

What are you trying to achieve? Extended desktop? Then drag the desktops in the arandr picture to where you want them and save and put into autostart.
Attachments
arandr.png
arandr.png (16.11 KiB) Viewed 6130 times
Pugmaster

Post by Pugmaster »

I simply want to use my external monitor via docking-station at home without having a glitchy desktop, no dual monitor setup etc., the laptop itself stays closed.
seppalta

Post by seppalta »

Sorry, I'm lost. Laptop closed (implies laptop off)? Glitchy desktop? You need to spell out exactly with details what your set-up is.
Pugmaster

Post by Pugmaster »

I will try to explain one more time: I've got a Lenovo T400 notebook put into a Lenovo Advanced Mini Dock. The dock has a DVI-out that is connected to a external LCD-monitor. I boot up the System by pressing the power-button on the dock, i.g. the notebook's lid is closed and the internal monitor isn't used.

Everything works fine, except there are two "desktops" merged together, as can be seen on this screenshot:
2013-02-20-170950_1680x1050_scrot.png
(261.86 KiB) Not downloaded yet
When I create, copy, delete a file on one desktop it's also done on the other and vice versa.

Precise enough? :D
seppalta

Post by seppalta »

Thank you. :D Sometimes the so-called expert needs more help than the questioner. Never used and barely heard of docks, but they look interesting.
http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkPad_ ... _Mini_Dock
For my education: Where does the dock get the programs (text editor, etc) to run if the computer is off? Or is the computer not completely off?

Have you tried the extended desktop set-up offerred by arandr? Maybe the dock will show only one-half (one monitor) of that setting when just the dock is on?
Pugmaster

Post by Pugmaster »

Your link already explains it quite well:
The ThinkPad Advanced Mini Dock (Model # 250410U) contains basic pass-through connections for notebook ports, including power pass-through. It comes without integrated power supply but provides the same power jack as found in a ThinkPad, an AC-Adapter is included. Besides all the pass-through ports the ThinkPad Advanced Mini Dock comes with an On/Off switch, Key lock and a slot for a cable lock.
I've connected an external hdd, monitor, mouse, keyboard and power to the dock. So I don't have to plug them into the laptop each time I want to use them. I just have to put the laptop into the dock and everything is connected. By pressing the dock's power button I boot up the laptop. The dock only "contains basic pass-through connections for notebook ports".