Monitor Calibration

Problems with hardware & laptops not being detected or supported during or after install.
circlefreak

Monitor Calibration

Post by circlefreak »

Hi,
Recently replaced XP on an 8 year old desktop pc with Fedora LXDE. Used Fedora as out of the many Linux distros I tried it's the only one that the Emu 0404 sound card works on out of the box.

Question is - Found out how to adjust brightness via the terminal but is there any way to simply colour calibrate / adjust colour on my monitor as apart from a power button it doesn't have any other controls :( ? I have Gnome color manager installed but can't find it anywhere in the menu, I guess because it's for Gnome and not LXDE. Could be wrong though as really am a complete novice! The calibration doesn't have to be perfect but is quite frustrating that can't work out how to do it after digging around on the internet for several hours. Any help very appreciated.

Edit - Just discovered the xgamma command as well which also helps, but is there a simpler way than using terminal or at the very least the ability for the settings to be automatically applied at start-up?
drooly

Re: Monitor Calibration

Post by drooly »

on almost every distro it is possible to add apps to autostart.
your job to find out how this works in fedora lxde.
once you find out, you can simply add the complete xgamma command there, and after next login, voilá! settings applied. well, it should work anyhow.
tell us if you experience further problems.
circlefreak

Post by circlefreak »

Hey drooly, thanks for the reply. Finally found out how to apply the settings on start up -

$ su
# leafpad /etc/xdg/lxsession/LXDE/autostart

Added the gamma settings, save, and sorted.

I wasn't joking when I said that I'm a complete novice. Nice to finally solve it :D
drooly

Post by drooly »

thanks for reporting back how you solved your problem!
i'm not sure but i think it would be better if you could achieve this without root privileges.
maybe add it to openbox' autostart? i'm not sure how lxde handles these things, but on my system $HOME/.config/openbox/autostart is being parsed every time i log in.
Suzy_09

Post by Suzy_09 »

Got useful information here. Thanks
seppalta

Post by seppalta »

For a general discussion of configuring an lxde desktop, see http://lxlinux.com - autostart is number 4.