File sharing

Having problems getting connected to the internet or getting your wireless card to work? Ask here.
schmidtbag

File sharing

Post by schmidtbag »

I was wondering if anyone knew a somewhat easy way to do file sharing. i've used samba before on ubuntu and kubuntu, but samba doesn't seem to want to work on lxde. i don't have much experience with samba outside of nautilus and dolphin. i'm aware pcfileman doesn't work with samba, but i couldn't figure out any other working graphical alternative.

i may have just set it up incorrectly, but the program i used to use to graphically configure samba is no longer supported. i'm using debian 5.0 testing

also just wondering, but is there even an alternative to samba? its one of the only pieces of software on linux that i find very bloated for how little it does.
My LXDE setup:
Asus EEE PC 900, 900MHz Celeron, 1GB of RAM, Intel integrated graphics, 16GB SSD
maces

Re: File sharing

Post by maces »

Hi,

please have a look at the new PCManFM, it supports samba now.

maces
schmidtbag

Post by schmidtbag »

i'm using the testing version of debian 5, shouldn't i already have that? also, exactly which samba packages do i need? theres like 20 of them and i don't know whats needed and whats extra
My LXDE setup:
Asus EEE PC 900, 900MHz Celeron, 1GB of RAM, Intel integrated graphics, 16GB SSD
maces

Post by maces »

Well I'm not using no Debian(-reletad) distro, so I don't really know. Which version of PCManFM are you using?

maces
schmidtbag

Post by schmidtbag »

i have version 0.5.2
My LXDE setup:
maces

Post by maces »

Well, that's the stable version, not the newest.

maces
schmidtbag

Post by schmidtbag »

so i know this post is a little old, but i do have pcmanfm 0.9.x now and i'm still unsure how to get samba working in it. i do have samba, samba-common, samba-common-bin, and windbind installed. am i supposed to have anything else?

also, what ever happened to that nice, simple samba configuration utility? i noticed it stopped being shipped with debian and ubuntu about a year ago - it made file sharing sooo fast and easy. now i'm stuck with this overkill complicated gambas program which makes file sharing hard.
My LXDE setup:
maces

Post by maces »

gvfs and gfvs-smb must be installed and working!

maces
schmidtbag

Post by schmidtbag »

cool, that seemed to get something working. but whenever i click on "windows network" it says "failed to retreive share list from network" and it doesn't seem to even attempt to do anything. is there something else i'm missing? also, is there no stable, gui samba configuration tool thats simpler gambas?

thanks again for getting me this far, i appreciate it
My LXDE setup:
lyman18

Post by lyman18 »

Reponse for Ubuntu Base
This has always happened to me and is tough. The absolute easy way to do this is- find the local IP address of your windows share 192.168.1.something.

Then use the connect to server feature in Ubuntu, select samaba, and for server location enter the IP. No other fields need to be entered. Flawless, works everytime.

Also in a browser you may enter
smb://192.168.1.102 <- the actual IP of course and this will allow you to view and download files from your share. Works Flawless also