Cdrom drive not recognised

Please post all general support questions for LXDE here.

Cdrom drive not recognised

Postby sleepy » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:44 am

I have recently installed LXDE and cant seem to play audio Cd's.The discs are not being recognized in music player/Rhythm box and I have no auto detect which I would expect to see.
If I click 'import files'tab then click on cdrom icon I receive this message 'Mount:I could not determine the filesystem type,and none was detected'.
Tried configuring Cd/Dvd in control centre but perhaps I'm missing something?
Any help would be appreciated please.
sleepy
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:31 am
Location: Tenerife

Re: Cdrom drive not recognised

Postby Joel » Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:27 pm

Do you have "pmount" and "hal" packages installed?
* Intel Core 2 DUO E6550 @ 2.33 GHz with 2 GB RAM
* Debian testing (squeeze) & lxde ; Kernel2.6.30-2-686.
* lighttpd, php5, perl, eruby, python.
* geany, Web dev, gtk+, QT4, wx, bindings.
* Siguiente: Debian testing ;)
Joel
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:38 am
Location: Tijuana, BC, México

Re: Cdrom drive not recognised

Postby sleepy » Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:53 pm

Joel wrote:Do you have "pmount" and "hal" packages installed?

Hi Joel
Just checked and did have hal but not pmount installed so have now added it but still doesn't seem to make a difference.
I found that by going to usr/share/applications then clicking on 'removable drives and media'.Under the multimedia tab I see what I'm possibly looking for but the command lines are missing from both the'audio cd's' and video cd's/dvd's boxes and I don't know what to enter in them?

Thanks for your help.
sleepy
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:31 am
Location: Tenerife

Re: Cdrom drive not recognised

Postby maces » Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:42 pm

Hi

pmount is used for mounting storage as a normal user, but not by PCManFM, afaik. Check if you are in the group "optical". To do so, type in "id" in a console. If not, add your user to the group "optical" and remember to relogin to confirm the groupchanges.

maces
maces
 
Posts: 503
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:04 pm

Re: Cdrom drive not recognised

Postby sleepy » Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:21 pm

maces wrote:Hi

pmount is used for mounting storage as a normal user, but not by PCManFM, afaik. Check if you are in the group "optical". To do so, type in "id" in a console. If not, add your user to the group "optical" and remember to relogin to confirm the groupchanges.

maces


Hi Maces
Sorry i don't quite understand what is meant by the term "optical".
If I type "id" into a terminal i get this.

uid=500(********) gid=500(********) groups=500(********) My user name blanked out********

Is it what I'm meant to be seeing?

Thanks
sleepy
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:31 am
Location: Tenerife

Re: Cdrom drive not recognised

Postby maces » Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:02 pm

"id" gives you the groups, your're in. for me it looks like that: "uid=xxxx(maces) gid=100(users) Gruppen=5(tty),50(games),90(network),91(video),92(audio),93(optical),95(storage),96(scanner),98(power),100(users),104(bluetooth)". Because I'm in the group "optical" (the name of the group) I'm allowed to use the cdrom drive.

But it's distro related, afaik. Which distro are you using? (I'm using Archlinux)

maces
maces
 
Posts: 503
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:04 pm

Re: Cdrom drive not recognised

Postby sleepy » Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:52 pm

maces wrote:"id" gives you the groups, your're in. for me it looks like that: "uid=xxxx(maces) gid=100(users) Gruppen=5(tty),50(games),90(network),91(video),92(audio),93(optical),95(storage),96(scanner),98(power),100(users),104(bluetooth)". Because I'm in the group "optical" (the name of the group) I'm allowed to use the cdrom drive.

But it's distro related, afaik. Which distro are you using? (I'm using Archlinux)

maces


I'm using LXDE.
What i cant seem to understand is,when I place a video disc in the cd drive then it's recognized in PCMan FM but it wont recognize any audio cd???
sleepy
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:31 am
Location: Tenerife

Re: Cdrom drive not recognised

Postby maces » Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:03 pm

LXDE is the Desktop Environment, not the Distribution (aka distri)!

Wired, what does happen, when you try it with simple cd's, storing files?

maces
maces
 
Posts: 503
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:04 pm

Re: Cdrom drive not recognised

Postby sleepy » Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:02 am

maces wrote:LXDE is the Desktop Environment, not the Distribution (aka distri)!

Wired, what does happen, when you try it with simple cd's, storing files?

maces


So how do I find which distribution I'm using Maces?
How confusing all this is becoming :D
sleepy
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:31 am
Location: Tenerife

Re: Cdrom drive not recognised

Postby maces » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:02 pm

That's easy, type in "uname -a" in a Terminal and post the output. For me its:
Code: Select all
[maces@mypc ~]$ uname -a
Linux archtower 2.6.31-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Tue Nov 10 18:15:40 CET 2009 x86_64 Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 6.60GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux

You see: "2.6.31-ARCH". It's a not really up2date version of Archlinux.

maces

PS: Who finds the modification in the message :P
maces
 
Posts: 503
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:04 pm

Next

Return to General Help

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 1 guest