Most suitable applications to be installed on LXDE

Please post all general support questions for LXDE here.
Alb1

Most suitable applications to be installed on LXDE

Post by Alb1 »

Hello,
I 've just installed LXDE on my daughter's old PC (Pentium III 500 MHz, 256 MB RAM) on a minimal installation ofUbuntu 8.04. I like it and wanted to add to it some useful applications, more or less the ones you may find on heavier desktop environments like GNOME or KDE.
Have them to be desktop independent or they can be the ones that are part of GNOME and KDE? I wanted, also, to add some utilities useful to control the hardware and the system similar to the ones that you can find in the control panel of the above mentioned desktop environments.
I'll be grateful to you if you give me some advice and suggestions about that.
Best Regards
archibald haddock

Re: Most suitable applications to be installed on LXDE

Post by archibald haddock »

If you would install any KDE or GNOME programm, it would grep all the gnome/kde requierments for that programm. As long as a use a binary distributio this mainly/only costs disk space and disk space is nowadays a cheapest part of computers. As single programms of KDE/GNOME there is only gedit, which I would get.
My general useful programms without much dependencies:
gftp (graphical ftp/sftp...)
firefox(web browser) - might be a bit slow on 256MB(it is still usable on 64, but...)
dillo(lightweight webbrowser, but lacking some css/plugin functionality)
audacious(audioplayer with much playable formats)

So far for general stuff, what the pc should be used for?

In what way handle GNOME/KDE hardware? Mouse/keyboard configuring with GUIs, but what then?
Alb1

Post by Alb1 »

Hello,
The PC is used as a standard desktop one. So I need office applications (I installed Open Office that's more complete then Abiword) web browsing and e-mail client (I installed Firefox and Thunderbird). I don't remember if I installed Gimp or if it was part of LXDE environment. I frequently use it to operate on digital photographs. I installed Brasero, also, in case of need to burn some CDs.
When I wrote about hardware and system utilities I was thinking of GUI utilities that allow you to analyze the Hardware System (DMA channels, USB devices, Network interfaces, Interrupt, Memory, Partitions, PCI, Peripherals, I/O ports, Processor, Protocols, SCSI, X server, Samba status, Sound, Processes list and related commands, hard drives used space).
Thank you and best regards,
Alberto
archibald haddock

Post by archibald haddock »

For that stuff there is a GUI in Gnome/Kde?

I am using console for things like that.

But at least there is some tool called lxtaskman or so, which do some things you want (process list...).
Alb1

Post by Alb1 »

Hello,
I know that for such staff there's a GUI in Gnome/KDE, but I like LXDE which is faster (and nice, also). About the console I like it and use it, even if I'm a beginner in the use of it. By the way, can you suggest me a good tutorial about the shell and its more useful commands?
Best Regards