LXDE color depth settings

Please post all general support questions for LXDE here.
vanquishedangel

LXDE color depth settings

Post by vanquishedangel »

Hi, I am a fan of Lubuntu and I have been using it for a little while now. I was curious on how to set the color depth in LXDE. I am trying to lighten the load on my very old poor laptop. The laptop is a Compaq Armada m300 PIII 600mhz, 320 mb ram, ATI rage pro lt 4 mb video ram. the deault color depth is 24, will chaging it to 16 help the low memory and how would I do that? I have tried to edit a Xorg.conf file and that failed I also tried to put a line in lxdm.conf and that failed.

Thank you for your time and for a wonderful desktop, I am maintaining 5 computers and all of then run with LXDE desktop, not lubuntu default desktop. LXDE looks better, runs better, and is better. :D
manuel.dossantos

Re: LXDE color depth settings

Post by manuel.dossantos »

Guys, please help me.

I have the same problem, i need to know how to change the color depth settings from 32 to 16 bit.

By the way, i found this thread http://forum.lxde.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1492 and tried its solution, but i didn't work for me.

Also, i searched and there is no xorg.conf file in my computer (i don't know if this is useful info).

Thanks in advance.
manuel.dossantos

Post by manuel.dossantos »

Anyways, i found the solution, and it worked. I thought i should post it here:

1) Go to this folder: /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d, remember to open it as ROOT user.

2) Create a blank file with the name xorg.conf (if there is such file, skip this step, of course).

3) Open the file xorg.conf with any text editor, such as leafpad.

4) Paste this inside the file:

Code: Select all

Section "Screen"
	Identifier	        "Default Screen"
	Monitor		"Configured Monitor"
	Device		"Configured Video Device"
	DefaultDepth     16
EndSection
5) The line "DefaultDepth 16" means i switched my color depth from 32bit to 16bit.

6) Save the changes, and reboot (not just log out).

This becomes useful because it increases your computer`s speed. At least, mine did.
Last edited by manuel.dossantos on Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rex Bouwense

Post by Rex Bouwense »

This is great. Before I had a chance to read your post which its problem, you have a solution. Thanks for posting it. Perhaps it can help someone else.
Rex