lubuntu sound problems

Please post all general support questions for LXDE here.
aJacom

Re: lubuntu sound problems

Post by aJacom »

HI seppalta.
That solved the issue, partly.

I have sound now ( :) ), but the sound is coming off really bad, with quirks and "dirty".
seppalta

Post by seppalta »

but the sound is coming off really bad, with quirks and "dirty".
Even after a few reboots?
The only other gimmick that I know is gnome-volume-control if you can get it installed (see my link). The LXDE mint distributions are better for sound control than Lubuntu, although the same controls are involved. I think sound is easier to set-up with Linux kernel 3.0 or later, too.
aJacom

Post by aJacom »

OK. I found out it's actually a VLC problem.
When I play mp3's with chrome, or @ youtube or lynda.com, I get normal, good audio.

When I play Mp3 with VLC, I get sound + noise.
When I play mp3 with VLC using $ vlc -A alsa, I get good sound quality, but it only works sometimes. The rest of the times it just doesn't make any sound. If I set ALSA as the default output in VLC, same thing. No sound except for a certain random times. (Press Stop-Play 10 times ~ 1 Works)

I think this might be way out of subject, so I'll consider making another post or posting at the VLC forums.
aJacom

Post by aJacom »

OK. I found out it's actually a VLC problem.
When I play mp3's with chrome, or @ youtube or lynda.com, I get normal, good audio.

When I play Mp3 with VLC, I get sound + noise.
When I play mp3 with VLC using $ vlc -A alsa, I get good sound quality, but it only works sometimes. The rest of the times it just doesn't make any sound. If I set ALSA as the default output in VLC, same thing. No sound except for a certain random times. (Press Stop-Play 10 times ~ 1 Works)

I think this might be way out of subject, so I'll consider making another post or posting at the VLC forums.
lunasspecto

Post by lunasspecto »

denflen wrote:Try this: Go to System Tools, Users and Groups, and make sure that Audio Devices are enabled for your account. By default, this was disabled on my install.
Sorry if this is thread necromancy. Audio devices are disabled for me by default, and I'm trying to enable them from the Users and Groups settings dialog. Unfortunately, my screen resolution is too small for the "OK" buttons or whatever is at the bottom of the window to display on my screen, and I can't increase my screen resolution or shrink the window vertically at all, so I can't apply the new settings when I try to enable use of audio devices. Is there any way around this? Some way to change this setting through the terminal, perhaps?
rokytnji

Post by rokytnji »

Unfortunately, my screen resolution is too small for the "OK" buttons or whatever is at the bottom of the window to display on my screen, and I can't increase my screen resolution or shrink the window vertically at all, so I can't apply the new settings when I try to enable use of audio devices.
Though not a Lubuntu user myself. Try holding ALT and drag with the mouse to move windows till you can get to the OK button or hit the maximze button on toolbar and see if that Helps. I run into this sometimes on my 7 and 9 inch screens on my netbooks in certain distros on live sessions.
Amrel RT 786ex 1.6ghz, 512MB ram , AntiX 8.5 core, Biker Linux user # 475019
Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way
My AntiX LXDE Install
Rex Bouwense

Post by Rex Bouwense »

+1 rokytnji. I use Lubuntu and I also have to use the ALT plus drag with the mouse technique on one of my computers which also is a netbook.
Rex