lxpanel volume control opens behind other windows

Please post all general support questions for LXDE here.
whatthefunk

lxpanel volume control opens behind other windows

Post by whatthefunk »

Im not quite sure how this happened, but all of a sudden, the lxpanel volume control is opening behind all the other windows. (See attachment) Is there anyway to get it to open on top of everything? Openbox window's layer settings are all set to Normal. Lubuntu 11.04. Thanks in advance.
Attachments
2011-09-17-173352_1024x768_scrot.png
(201.31 KiB) Not downloaded yet
LXNevermind

Re: lxpanel volume control opens behind other windows

Post by LXNevermind »

Right click on the firefox (or any) widnow (part with title), to get openbox menu. Then Layer, then Normal. Tell us if it works.
amjjawad

Post by amjjawad »

LXNevermind wrote:Right click on the firefox (or any) widnow (part with title), to get openbox menu. Then Layer, then Normal. Tell us if it works.
There you go!
Attachments
Screenshot.png
Screenshot.png (22.71 KiB) Viewed 5651 times
Feel Free to contact me: http://amjjawad.net
whatthefunk

Post by whatthefunk »

All my windows are already set to normal.
amjjawad

Post by amjjawad »

whatthefunk wrote:All my windows are already set to normal.
What will happen when you logout and login again? or restart?

What will happen if you click on the volume control again?

I remember it happened with me too and it got fixed all by itself after sometime.
whatthefunk

Post by whatthefunk »

Its been like this for about a month now. Logging in, restarting etc doesnt do anything. Restarting the panel doesnt do anything. Ive taken the volume control out of the panel and then put it back...nothing. I created a new panel with a volume control and that volume control opens behind everything as well.

The Panel Preferences window also opens behind everything else...Im thinking thats a related problem.
amjjawad

Post by amjjawad »

whatthefunk wrote:Its been like this for about a month now. Logging in, restarting etc doesnt do anything. Restarting the panel doesnt do anything. Ive taken the volume control out of the panel and then put it back...nothing. I created a new panel with a volume control and that volume control opens behind everything as well.

The Panel Preferences window also opens behind everything else...Im thinking thats a related problem.
I'll check that and get back to you. I also have Lubuntu 11.04.

By the way, good to see you here and on Ubuntu Forum as well ;)
whatthefunk

Post by whatthefunk »

Okay, Ive narrowed it down. The problem is that I use a two panels setup, a normal panel on the bottom and a dock-like panel on top. If I delete the top panel, the volume control acts normally. If I put the top panel back, unclick "Make window managers treat the panel as a dock" in the Panel Preferences Advanced options, and then restart the panel, the volume control on all panels falls behind all open windows. Could somebody confirm this for me? I think Ill report this as a bug.
amjjawad

Post by amjjawad »

whatthefunk wrote:Okay, Ive narrowed it down. The problem is that I use a two panels setup, a normal panel on the bottom and a dock-like panel on top. If I delete the top panel, the volume control acts normally. If I put the top panel back, unclick "Make window managers treat the panel as a dock" in the Panel Preferences Advanced options, and then restart the panel, the volume control on all panels falls behind all open windows. Could somebody confirm this for me? I think Ill report this as a bug.
I just did what you mentioned and my volume control panel appears normally on the top of any other Window.

Am I missing something?
What do you mean by "restarting the panel"???

Edit:
What kind of top panel do you have? have you followed the tutorial here http://lubuntu.net/ to create the top panel???
Attachments
Screenshot.png
(433.71 KiB) Not downloaded yet
whatthefunk

Post by whatthefunk »

Ive posted a screenshot showing my desktop with the top panel and Panel Preferences window open to the Advanced tab so you can see the setup I have.

To restart the panel:

Code: Select all

lxpanelctl restart
You have to restart the panel for the options to take affect.
Attachments
2011-09-19-225050_1024x768_scrot.png
(238.33 KiB) Not downloaded yet