Lubuntu 11.10 notifications

Please post all general support questions for LXDE here.
jango

Re: Lubuntu 11.10 notifications

Post by jango »

Yes, notification-daemon is installed but notification-properties doesn't work!!!
amjjawad

Post by amjjawad »

jango wrote:Yes, notification-daemon is installed but notification-properties doesn't work!!!
This is very weird. I have it installed and loaded in RAM (Lubuntu 11.10) but notification-properties is not there at all. Actually, even on Lubuntu 11.04, "notification-properties" is NOT a package, it's more like a command. If you go to Synaptic, search for "notification-properties". You will not find it.

I'll look into this and will get back to you.

Thanks a lot!
Feel Free to contact me: http://amjjawad.net
amjjawad

Post by amjjawad »

I sent to the developers and once they will get back to me and find a fix to this issue, I'll let you know.

I'm running both 11.04 and 11.10 and I see your point. No worries :)
jango

Post by jango »

Thanks, i hope that they find a way to fix that ;)
amjjawad

Post by amjjawad »

jango wrote:Thanks, i hope that they find a way to fix that ;)
Lubuntu Team works as one family and we have done a lot so far so I'm sure we'll manage to fix it :)

You most welcome :)
mick823

Post by mick823 »

You can use the xfce4-notifyd notification instead of the notification-daemon. It has a GUI to choose location (upper right, lower right, upper left or lower left), and display time in seconds. It also has a transparency setting but it doesn't work with LXDE out of the box. The GUI application .desktop file has to be modified to get it to show up in your applications menu. Everything is already in the repository and can be installed via synaptic.

In synaptic:
Search and UNINSTALL notification-daemon (this is the default notification bubbles)
Search and INSTALL xfce4-notifyd (libnotify-bin will also install automatically)

Now we need to make the GUI appear on the menu.

Open PCmanFM and navigate to /usr/share/applications and open as Root. (Tools > Open Current Folder as Root)

Find the Application named "Notifications"

Right Click on the file and select "Leafpad"

Scroll down near the bottom and find the command OnlyShowIn=XFCE;

modify to OnlyShowIn=XFCE;LXDE;

Save and exit.

Thats it! you can go right to the menu (Preferences > Notifications) and make your changes. There are 3 themes and the smoke theme seems to be the best of the choices. Also has a preview button to see what the themes look like and how long it will display. Far and away better than the default notification bubbles. IMO this should be the default notification in LXDE.

Note: These instructions will not work with the latest Lubuntu 12.10 which has xfce4-notifyd as the default. The GUI is still not visible on the menu which makes no sense to me. I have written new instructions which will activate the GUI for the 12.10 release. Link below.

link: http://forum.lxde.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=31955

screenshots attached:
Attachments
xfce-notifyd.jpg
(86.73 KiB) Not downloaded yet
GUI.jpg
(46.67 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Last edited by mick823 on Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
amjjawad

Post by amjjawad »

Oh boy, I'm sure I have posted Julien's reply some where but looks like it's another thread either here or on Ubuntu Forum so I didn't get back to this one, my bad. Hope it's not too late.

This is a Lubuntu Developer's Reply:
Le 10/16/2011 04:11 PM, amjjawad a écrit :
> On 11.10, when I type: notification-properties in LXTerminal, it says "command not found". On 11.04, it works out of the box.

Because the author of notification-daemon drop the support for configuration, for the version in 11.10.

Regards,
Julien Lavergne
Le 10/16/2011 11:44 PM, amjjawad a écrit :
> Thanks for your reply, Julien but what am I suppose to tell the users?
> I mean, isn't there any other package we could have used or we can use
> at the moment?

If they want a more advanced notification system, they can install
notify-osd, or xfce notification application.
We can't avoid this type of upstream modifications some time, unfortunately.

Regards,
natsuto

Post by natsuto »

It also has a transparent setting, but it does not work out-of-the-box of the LXDE. GUI applications. Desktop file to get it to display in your application menu.