Failed to change to directory '' (No such file or directory)

Please post all general support questions for LXDE here.
denzyl

Failed to change to directory '' (No such file or directory)

Post by denzyl »

I have installed LXDE in my Fedora 17 after trying XFCE. The desktop has all my applications, but when I click on the file manager icon, and also Evolution, I get the above error message. File manager is not a problem as I can use the LXDE file manager, but I would like to be able to access Evolution (or some similar application if available). How do I find out what commands are issued when an Icon is clicked?
Thanks - Den.
seppalta

Re: Failed to change to directory '' (No such file or direct

Post by seppalta »

The execute command is generally the official name of the application for a common linux app. To get precise information, go to the app's .desktop file, usually found in /usr/share/applications and open it with any text editor. The part after exec= is the launch command. I find it easier to just use a little shell script to launch my 4 emails simultaneously, rather than a heavy program like evolution. See http://lxlinux.com/#1 for details.
denzyl

Post by denzyl »

Thanks for your reply. I take it you refer to 'Desktop Panel Links and Bash Script Launchers'. So far, I have avoided dealing with Bash scripts. However, I looked at the entry for evolution in the /desktops folder and keyed in the command '/usr/bin/exo-open --launch MailReader %u' in a terminal. I got the message 'evolution:6862 evolution shell warning **: cannot import any of the given URLs'. I re-entered the command minus the %u and evolution started OK. However, when I exited evolution , the following message was displayed '(evolution:1607): libnotify-WARNING **: Failed to connect to proxy

** (evolution:1607): WARNING **: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.freedesktop.Notifications was not provided by any .service files'.
It least now I can read my emails. Evolution does seem to load slowly, so maybe it's a bloated piece of code, or providing facilities that I do not use. I'll look into alternative mail programs.

Regards
Denzyl
Rex Bouwense

Post by Rex Bouwense »

Look in to Thunderbird. I have been using it for years. It works real fast in Lubuntu.
Rex
denzyl

Post by denzyl »

Thanks for the info on Thunderbird, I was thinking of giving it a try.
FWIE, today, I idly clicked on the Evolution icon and got the usual error message, but I did something which caused the icon to be repositioned on the desktop, and the other icons were re-arranged, leaving the evo icon on it's own and 'faded'. I went into menu->office and added another Evolution to the desktop, and deleted the old one. Hey Presto! up came Evolution - no problems - when I clicked on it. The old icon had been created as part of the installation of LXDE when I moved from XFCE. The LXDE installation process had picked up all my XFCE icons, but Evo and File Managed were the only two that didn't work.
marcolinux

Post by marcolinux »

This post is old sorry, but it shows first when search.
I solved by editing [app.desktop] and removing empty parameter Path= .

Just to test, setting Path=/home/$USER:
Failed to change to directory '/home/$USER' (No such file or directory)

Setting Path=/home/jonhdue [<--- your user name] works.

Now I can launch them. Maybe is a pacmanfm bug? When I have time I will check the source (yeah right :) ).
Rex Bouwense

Post by Rex Bouwense »

Welcome to the LXDE forum. Yes, it is an old thread and thank you for the information. There has been a new version of PCManFM released since then. Don't know if that has anything to do with it.
Rex