Double panel applets.

Please post all general support questions for LXDE here.
casaluna

Double panel applets.

Post by casaluna »

This happened yesterday when I was following the instruction in the thread about resolving the missing battery icon in the panel
http://forum.lxde.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=36532#p49031
I'm not sure if it has anything to with it or not.

Anyway I have the wireless network applet appearing twice right next to each other! The Wifi applet is found within
Panel Aplets>Indicator applets. I've tried editing this applet and removing it. If I remove it both disapear and I don't have anything at all. If i then add it again there are two again. So it seem it's either two of them or nothing at all!

Anyone know whats going on here?
Lubuntu 13.10 on an Acer Aspire one
Rex Bouwense

Re: Double panel applets.

Post by Rex Bouwense »

Sorry that I couldn't get back to you sooner but the forum has been down. There appears to be a similar problem with a solution on the Ubuntu Forums. Although the OP has not closed the thread, another poster has replied with success. Perhaps that will also solve your problem.
See
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2189743
Rex
casaluna

Post by casaluna »

Thanks for the link. I tried that and deleled the particular line in desktop.conf but no change unfortunately.
So keep searching I guess. It's not as theres any problem with functionality rather it's just cosmetic. None the less it would be nice to tidy this up.

Katelyn
Rex Bouwense

Post by Rex Bouwense »

I found this site
http://pclosmag.com/html/Issues/201010/page07.html
but even it says:
Configuring LXPanel

LXPanel can technically be modified by editing the underlying configuration file, located at ~/.config/lxpanel/LXDE/panels. This method is not advisable. The first line of the config file gives ample warning:

# lxpanel <profile> config file. Manually editing is not recommended.
# Use preference dialog in lxpanel to adjust config when you can.

Instead, LXPanel should be configured using the built-in GUI tools, which are accessed by right-clicking anywhere on the panel and choosing Panel Settings from the context menu.
and that is not getting you anywhere. I also agree that it would be nice to tidy up the panel. Out of idle curiosity, are both of the indicators (applets) functional? Also can you confirm that this problem did not exist before you made changes to get your power manager to auto-start?
Rex
casaluna

Post by casaluna »

Sorry I had trouble logging into the forum again.
This definately started when I resolved the power management issue, no question.
Both applets are fully functional and stable. I can choose either one to use and when to I click on a network to connect both will go round in circles as it connects. Essentially they are dual manifestations of the same function. I also get the information messages time two eg "Wireless Networks available" "you are now connected..." etc etc.
Rex Bouwense

Post by Rex Bouwense »

So, in fixing or trying to fix one item, you ended up with another problem. Can you undo the "fix"? Just work backwards.
Rex
Rex Bouwense

Post by Rex Bouwense »

Casaluna, your problem intrigued me. For 30 minutes (probably longer) i fiddled with the Default applications for LXSession (under Preferences in the Main Menu). I was trying to duplicate your problem so I could find a way out of it. Well, now I have two network indicator icons (both functional) just like you do. To get out of it.
I have the laptop mode set to yes (under settings)
I have the disable autostarted applications set to no (under autostart)
and I am back to one network indicator icon. This was done on Lubuntu 13.10 on an ASUS 1000h. I am not sure if anything else that I did had any bearing on the outcome.
Rex
casaluna

Post by casaluna »

Thanks for your reply and sorry for the delay, I was away.

I tried your latest idea where you replicated the problem and then resolved it.Unfortuantely that made no difference for me.

I then tried your previous sugestion of working back. In fact I went back to the beginning where I had no battery icon in the panel and started again. At this point "Default Applications for LXsession" settings are: (what I started originally with)

Autostart > Settings: Disable Autostart apps = Config only
Settings > General Settings: Laptop mode = No

So as expected I had no battery icon and just one network indicator icon.

I then went back in and changed "Disable Autostart Apps" to = No
I then had the double network indicator icon (both functional)
plus something i didn't notice before. Under Autostart apps > Known applications I now had two complete menus side by side (just like the double network icon) both functional and duplicate changes etc. I.e:
Enabled....Application...Comment.........Enabled....Application....Comment

This seems to be the trigger to the double icon thing!

Still no battery icon but that reapears when I change "Laptop Mode" to =Yes

Hmm what does this mean? Intriging and appart from this its running running slick and fast on my little travel netbook.
Lubuntu 13:10 on an Acer Aspire One D270.

Caitlin
Rex Bouwense

Post by Rex Bouwense »

This is starting to bother me (bad words omitted and replaced by others). Did you ever try the solution that I gave China Dippers without all of the other changes that you made to your system? (Go to Preferences->Power Manager. Navigate to General Options and then choose Always show icon.) I can virtually show or not show the icon just by choosing Always show or Never show. You could also try either of the other two choices When the battery is present or When battery is charging or discharging. I don't think that the changes that you made could have caused the double icons but I do not know. I just cannot determine why it works for me (and China Dippers) but not for you. Frustrating!!
Rex
casaluna

Re: Double panel applets (Solved)

Post by casaluna »

Well thank you for your sugestions regading this litle issue. I have resolved the double icon issue for me but not completely sure why though.

The solution was in the settings of "Default Appllications for LXsession"
Settings > Laptop mode =Yes made the battery applet visible (but only one wireless applet)

I then went to "Autostart > Settings... disable autostarted applications" and select "No" I get the double Wireless applets after reboot. However, if I leave it at "Config Only" I just the one applet. I don't know what implications this has for other autostart applications though?

However, there are a couple of other issues which make me wonder if Lubuntu is fully functional on this laptop? minor yes but more indications that it's almost but not fully compatable. I will post those in a seperate thread.

Katelyn