Brightness Control/Language selection

Please post all general support questions for LXDE here.
casaluna

Brightness Control/Language selection

Post by casaluna »

Two minor but nonetheless little issues remain on my laptop.

1. The Brighness Control seems to be full functional except visually its mesed up. By this I mean I can reduce/increase brightness as needed but the line of coloured bars kind of decreases/lenghens/changes shade of colour but its almost as theres a second one behind it that doesent change. Its like it doesn't display properly but at least it works...sort of. A graphics problem?

2. When I installed i selected English - UK. Sometimes after boot-up the little applet shows English - US. Sometimes this will switch to UK after a short while, sometimes not. Sometimes it's UK from the start..

I did some googling and found references that some people with the chip set I have in this Laptop having problems with some Linux distros. The Intel Atom Cedarview graphics driver appeared to sometimes cause problems on a previous release (Lubuntu 12.04) but seems to be fixed now. Maybe explains my problem above?

Anyway I plan to mess a bit more with this but right now I'm seriously wondering if I might be better trying another distro on this machine?
Lubuntu 13.10 on an Acer Aspire one
Rex Bouwense

Re: Brightness Control/Language selection

Post by Rex Bouwense »

You know there are over 40 Linux distros that have an LXDE version out there. I have downloaded and played around with perhaps half a dozen. If you have space on your hard drive perhaps you could download a few and "try" them out. I keep coming back to Lubuntu because it has good support (in the Ubuntu forums as well as here and Sourceforge) and perhaps I am a little lazy. There are others on this forum who use Debian, Peppermint, Arch, Sparky Linux, Planet Watt OS, etc. and are extremely happy with their distro.
Since I have been with Lubuntu since 11.04 (before it was officially recognized), it seems I would rather fix stuff that pops up than learn something new and perhaps more complicated.

Edit: With regard to your keyboard problem, please check
/etc/default/keyboard
The second line should read
XKBLAYOUT="uk"
If you are using two keyboards the uk will be followed by another code ("uk,us" for instance)
Last edited by Rex Bouwense on Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Additional information
Rex
Lew_Rockwell_fan

Post by Lew_Rockwell_fan »

casaluna wrote: The Brighness Control seems to be full functional except visually its mesed up.
A picture is worth a thousand words. Have you tried installing the latest propietary driver? It can often make a big difference. I never got decently legible ttys until I did.
casaluna wrote:2. When I installed i selected English - UK. Sometimes after boot-up the little applet shows English - US. Sometimes this will switch to UK after a short while, sometimes not. Sometimes it's UK from the start..
Weird. Is this just a curiosity or does it matter? Do you need both? Does it matter to you how your spell checker wants you to spell colo(u)r? You could just uninstall the US locale stuff if you don't need to pass for one of US in your writing. Hell, half of US don't knoe hau to spell anyweigh.
casaluna wrote:I'm seriously wondering if I might be better trying another distro on this machine?
Probably not but it's fun to try anyway. Try lots. I always have at least 2 bootable partitions, more when I have the drive space. If you like the general nature of lubuntu, I'd suggest the lxde flavor of PClinuxOS and Xubuntu. Both are similarly light weight and have a similar traditional gui.
casaluna

Post by casaluna »

Lew_Rockwell_fan wrote:A picture is worth a thousand words. Have you tried installing the latest propietary driver? It can often make a big difference. I never got decently legible ttys until I did.
I'm a bit confused as to what else I should try? I looked in synaptic and it shows I have the ATI Radeon driver installed.
I believe this is the correct one for my graphics. I cant see any alternatives.
Lew_Rockwell_fan wrote: Weird. Is this just a curiosity or does it matter? Do you need both? Does it matter to you how your spell checker wants you to spell colo(u)r? You could just uninstall the US locale stuff if you don't need to pass for one of US in your writing. Hell, half of US don't knoe hau to spell anyweigh.
No I don't need both. When I installed I selected UK English. It's not that big of a deal, more of an indication that things are not quiet right. After boot "US" pops up and after a while will switch to "UK" sometimes faster than others and sometimes never.
Do I just unistall the US libraries then?
casaluna wrote:I'm seriously wondering if I might be better trying another distro on this machine?
Probably not but it's fun to try anyway. Try lots. I always have at least 2 bootable partitions, more when I have the drive space. If you like the general nature of lubuntu, I'd suggest the lxde flavor of PClinuxOS and Xubuntu. Both are similarly light weight and have a similar traditional gui.[/quote]
Lubuntu 13.10 on an Acer Aspire one
Rex Bouwense

Post by Rex Bouwense »

Don't you just love these little inconsistencies that keep popping up. Did you check
/etc/default/keyboard
I am curious if both uk and us are listed.
Rex
luxudueu

Post by luxudueu »

casaluna wrote: No I don't need both. When I installed I selected UK English. It's not that big of a deal, more of an indication that things are not quiet right. After boot "US" pops up and after a while will switch to "UK" sometimes faster than others and sometimes never.
Do I just unistall the US libraries then?
A bit late as usual, but using auto-login? It seems to mess up with language/keyboard selections. Login with password everything works fine, without I always get US keyboard. A bug, definitely.