Installation went very bad on Lubuntu install - HP ZV5000

Please post all general support questions for LXDE here.
URDRWHO

Installation went very bad on Lubuntu install - HP ZV5000

Post by URDRWHO »

I've never had anything create such a bad failure, just been lucky I guess?

I decided to install Lubuntu 13.10 along side my Win XP. It is a laptop that isn't use often but still needs Windows for work related items.

Last evening I started an install, had my 500 gig external HD attached and the install wanted to create a partition on my external HD. Nope --- don't want that ...cancel install, I'll continue in the morning.

Started again this morning, I again choose to install along side of windows, installation continues. As the install moves along I start to notice things seem different from the previous night, I am seeing actions appear that I didn't see the night before, I'm wondering when I will see the request to set a partition size. It never, ever asked but what it did was partition over my windows. Errrr!!!! Ugh!!!!!!!!!!! Yikes and expletives I won't say here.

Install gets to the end and says to reboot, so I do. I see the menu to choose Ubuntu but no windows, Grub didn't do its thing.

Now I am wondering if I should reinstall.

I have a feeling I am screwed. I've done things before with plain ole Ubuntu (dual boot) and never had any issues. I have some things backed up to the hard drive but have probably lost years of files.

Instead of choosing to install along side windows I should have hit the radio button for something else. Reading on the internet choosing the something else option is safer and less prone to loosing your windows partition.

Hm? I am sure the government could find my lost files.
Rex Bouwense

Re: Installation went very bad on Lubuntu install - HP ZV500

Post by Rex Bouwense »

Welcome to the LXDE forum. I know the feeling that you have obviously just experienced. All is not lost yet. Although GParted is not installed by default, it is on the CD or flash drive that you used to install. Boot from what ever you used and try Lubuntu. Then open GParted to see what is on your hard drive. XP may still be there.
In case you need information about GParted or how to use it, see:
http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/gparted.html
It is an old post the information is good.
Rex
drooly

Post by drooly »

and in case that is not enough you can boot from one of many dedicated rescue "cds" and rescue away.
i think hiren's and falcon's are best, but i don't remember if they have gparted on them... they should, though.

ps: HP ZV500 looks like a nice, matured piece of hardware. but with everything that old (~10ys) some caution and extra attention is needed when installing a "follow-the-hype" system like lubuntu.
URDRWHO

Post by URDRWHO »

There is truth in what you say!!

It has taken a long time but I'm getting there and I used a nice program test.disc that found lost files in the partition. I rescued 58,248 and only had 84 that fail to recover. My Hirens came in handy (again).
drooly wrote:and in case that is not enough you can boot from one of many dedicated rescue "cds" and rescue away.
i think hiren's and falcon's are best, but i don't remember if they have gparted on them... they should, though.

ps: HP ZV500 looks like a nice, matured piece of hardware. but with everything that old (~10ys) some caution and extra attention is needed when installing a "follow-the-hype" system like lubuntu.