Keyboard layout defaults to US since upgrading to Lubuntu 14

Please post all general support questions for LXDE here.
China Diapers

Keyboard layout defaults to US since upgrading to Lubuntu 14

Post by China Diapers »

Hi,

Since I've upgraded to the latest version of Ubuntu my keyboard layout has been reset to US. If I click that new keyboard icon on the taskbar is shows US.

If I then change the keyboard layout using lxkeymap to GB it works great (exept the taskbar still shows US) however if I then restart it defaults back to using a US keyboard.

Anybody got any ideas? Is this a bug? Seems like everytime I do an upgrade at least one thing gets broken.
Rex Bouwense

Re: Keyboard layout defaults to US since upgrading to Lubunt

Post by Rex Bouwense »

Hi. If it is set up correctly and you have it set to gb,us you shoudl be able to toggle between the two. Gb should be the default since it is listed first. Have you looked here:
http://lxlinux.com/#19
That site is maintained by seppalta, a member and active contributor to this forum.
Rex
drooly

Post by drooly »

right-click the flag and choose "keyboard layout handler settings".
in the dialog that pops up, uncheck "keep system layouts", make desired changes on the left side (moving en-uk up to the top), then check "keep system layouts" again. if i'm not mistaken, that should do it.

edit: this is a brand new install of lubuntu 14.04, lxkeymap doesn't even seem to be installed. maybe yours is different?
China Diapers

Post by China Diapers »

I looked at seppalta's site and tried his suggestions, still can't select UK/GB layout.

I don't have a flag on my task bar, I have a keyboard icon. If I right click it I only see US as an option. This is not a new install it all went wrong when I updated my system to the latest version of Lubuntu. It was working great before I got the update.

The weird thing is on the login page there is an icon on the top left that shows my layout as GB, but on the desktop it is US.

I am very close to ditching Lubuntu, every time there's a new release something gets broken. I am thinking of going the Debian/LXDE route.
Rex Bouwense

Post by Rex Bouwense »

I don't think that anything is broke. Go to Menu->Preferences->Keyboard input Methods. Navigate to Input Method and select Customize active input methods. Then select GB from the drop down list and remove US if you want. If you do not want the keyboard (ibus) on the LXPanel. Navigate back to General and uncheck Show Icon on system tray.
Rex
China Diapers

Post by China Diapers »

That worked thanks. I feel silly.
Rex Bouwense

Post by Rex Bouwense »

Great. Why feel silly, when you would never know that unless you were poking around looking for things to break or trying to fix something. No question or problem is too simple. We have all been there at one time or another and some of us (like me) are still there. :)
Rex