logout dialog does not have shutdown or reboot button

Please post all general support questions for LXDE here.
mdmarmer

logout dialog does not have shutdown or reboot button

Post by mdmarmer »

When I click Logout from the menu, the dialog box that pops up does not include Shutdown or Reboot buttons. I am running Debian Testing with Openbox and gdm.
drooly

Re: logout dialog does not have shutdown or reboot button

Post by drooly »

there's simple workarounds around this, but the question is of course "why not?"
how did you install lxde?
i might be mistaken, but wouldn't the lxde metapackage include a different display manager?

edit: or maybe you haven't installed lxde at all, just a simple openbox setup with lxpanel? then the answer is clear. the feature you're looking for is an lxde feature and only becomes available when you install the complete desktop environment (which isn't much in the case of lxde).
mdmarmer

Post by mdmarmer »

I have all the lxde components installed. This problem happened recently after after a dist-upgrade. I am able to logout or reboot from root terminal (halt, shutdown, reboot, etc. all working)
drooly

Post by drooly »

drooly wrote:how did you install lxde?
i might be mistaken, but wouldn't the lxde metapackage include a different display manager?
mdmarmer

Post by mdmarmer »

I've been running this system with LXDE and debian testing for several years, and the lxsession-logout dialog box has always worked properly and included all the buttons until about a week ago. I don't see the importance of how LXDE was installed. As I remember, I started with Mepis, removed nearly all the Mepis unique stuff and nearly all of KDE, and I installed gdm and all the LXDE components, and upgraded to the testing repositories. I've been doing dist-upgrades often and trying to maintain my system as a rolling release type. Today, I installed task-lxde-desktop, and as you say, it installed lightdm, but I still selected gdm as desktop manager. This made no difference. It's not apparent to me what determines the configuration of the LXDE logout dialog, or what would change what buttons are displayed. Thanks!
drooly

Post by drooly »

so you are running a highly customised install based on mepis.
i think this is rather important.

find out what is being executed when you press "logout" - iirc it was something like "lxde-exit-dialog".
start this command from a terminal and post the output from that.

my suspicion is that the really complex setup that enables certain commands to run with root privileges, but without entering your password, is somehow borked, or one of the functions called by the exit dialog does not work as expected.

a different approach:
iirc lxpanel has an option to change what you use for run dialog and logout dialog.
drooly

Post by drooly »

i just noticed that you have been discussing very similar topics both on this forum and on debian forums, before you even started this thread here.
i wonder why you did not share that? wouldn't it be helpful?
mdmarmer

Post by mdmarmer »

Yes, I've been experiencing similar problems for some time (and so have other users).

I have not had any success in getting LXDE logout dialog panel (that is, the shutdown and reboot options on the logout dialog panel) to work when systemd is installed.

There are bug reports and patches for the problem that the logout dialog doesn't work with systemd -- I tried applying one patch that was intended for mageia and it did not help. There is another patch I haven't tried (I didn't have everything needed for that patch on my system -- I may try it again later). I don't know whether using LXQt rather than LXDE solves this or not. I posted this problem to the LXDE developers mailing list but no one responded.

Previously, when I encountered this problem, I would remove systemd and use consolekit, and the LXDE logout dialog would then work. Now, my shutdown and reboot buttons are missing in the LXDE logout dialog, and I don't know how to get them back. I think this related to /etc/policykit but I'm not sure and I haven't examined the souce code closely enough to figure out what causes the buttons to display in the LXDE logout dialog.

In some ways, this problem is minor, as I am able to shutdown or reboot my system from a root console. It does seem to me that the LXDE system is not complete without a properly working logout dialog, especially now that systemd is the preferred package to install.

There are similar problems reported for xfce. It's possible that a solution for xfce would work for LXDE or yield helpful ideas. I'll search to see if there is a useful solution for xfce.
Rex Bouwense

Post by Rex Bouwense »

I posted this problem to the LXDE developers mailing list but no one responded.
Hi, I have been following this thread with interest. Did you report this "bug" to http://sourceforge.net/projects/lxde/
Bug reports are under Tickets->Bugs.

With regard to the missing shutdown button, does this help?
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Lubun ... tall_Login

Oops. I just realized that you are using Debian and not Lubuntu.
Last edited by Rex Bouwense on Wed May 21, 2014 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Additional information
Rex
mdmarmer

Post by mdmarmer »

The Lubuntu solution also applies to Debian but it's for a different problem -- that solution is for the case of the Logout (aka Shutdown) missing from the menu or from the panel -- I have Logout in my menu but when I click it, a dialog appears that does not include options for Reboot or Shutdown. I found that depressing the power button does shutdown my system cleanly -- and I could probably change this to something else in the acpi settings (if I wanted it to reboot the system, for example).