Integrating firefox, gimp and libreoffice in lxqt

Please post all general support questions for LXDE here.
jmak

Integrating firefox, gimp and libreoffice in lxqt

Post by jmak »

Hello,

I've just installed lxqt on top of ubuntu 14.04 and it works great. However, Firefox, gimp, libreoffice look horrible. Is there anyway of integrating these apps so that they also look good like the rest of the other apps.

I installed libbreoffice-kde integration package but libreoffice doesn't use it.

Thanks for the tips
Lew_Rockwell_fan

Re: Integrating firefox, gimp and libreoffice in lxqt

Post by Lew_Rockwell_fan »

I don't know about libreoffice, so I can only suggest a generalised approach: install a whole lot of themes and theme engines and try a lot of them. You may find one that works well for everything. If not, dig into the subject of editing themes. I don't know about that distro but I believe mine are all in /usr/share/themes. Themes that work with more than 1 engine have seperate text files inside for each engine. You can edit them independently. You can also copy the gtk file from one and the qt4 file from another and combine them in a new theme directory for example. A lot of aps are themeable with one specific theme engine and not others. If no theme with a "sub-theme" for that engine is set they fall back to a built in default. So, for example, if most of your aps are using a qt theme engine but you have some aps that use gtk themes, you like the way the qt aps look but the gtk aps look terrible, you can find a gtk theme that looks good on them and copy the files into the directory that has the qt theme and now it will be a hybrid qt/gtk theme. It's been a while since I've done this and I may have left out some things and other things may have changed but that's the general idea and I doubt that much has changed. If you go this route, it's basically a matter of trial and error and keep tinkering until it's right.

But Firefox is a special case. In addition to whatever you can make it do with system themes, it has all sorts of Firefox-specific appearance tweaking mechanisms. Under the edit, preferences menu, content tab, you have built-in font and color settings. In addons there are a eleventy-seven-gazillion themes. There are also addons that modify themes. "Theme Font & Size Changer" (which also fiddles with colors) and "Blank Your Monitor" for instance, but there are many more. There is also a theme switcher addon that makes it easier to switch between themes. Again, it's mostly trial and error.
drooly

Re: Integrating firefox, gimp and libreoffice in lxqt

Post by drooly »

jmak wrote:I've just installed lxqt on top of ubuntu 14.04 and it works great. However, Firefox, gimp, libreoffice look horrible.
lxqt is pretty new and experimental. no surprises there.

for the technical part: different apps use different toolkits. gimp uses gtk2, firefox leans on gtk2/3 but really uses its own toolkit, and libreoffice i don't even know, but it looks ugly on my system, too. you can instrall extra packages to make it look better.

i hope i wrote at least one thing that lewrockwellfan hadn't written yet - i didn't read it properly.