Is there a way to disable KB char auto repeat?

Please post all general support questions for LXDE here.
heboland

Is there a way to disable KB char auto repeat?

Post by heboland »

Hello, due to a recent physical impairment, my KB entry suffers from long char repeat strings.

lxde control center allows changing KB repeat delay, but doesn't allow disabling it.

Heboland
Rex Bouwense

Re: Is there a way to disable KB char auto repeat?

Post by Rex Bouwense »

Hey heboland. I found an old post on the Ubuntu forms
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1448918
It isn't talking about Lubuntu or LXDE but I thought that I would try it on my netbook to see what happens and sure enough it works. I do not know what else it might be doing and the post is very old (over 4 years) but it did work for me. You can try it if you like.

Code: Select all

xset r off
to turn off or disable the repeat fuction and

xset r on
to turn on or enable the repeat fuction.
Rex
drooly

Post by drooly »

strangely, changing the settings from the "control center" gui does not seem to have any effect.
i tried, in a terminal:

xset r off
while this works perfectly on both archlinux and crunchbang, it does not work on lubuntu (but i only tested it in a virtual box).
the strangest thing is: setting "xset r off" (and "xset r on") has some effect on the repeat rate, but it doesn't disable it completely.

i suggest you try it, maybe it works for you, and if you like it you can make it permanent.

edit: wow! rex bouwense typed this at the same time as me! but i'm still leaving it here like it is.

edit2: you can probably log into a plain openbox session from your login manager; it should definitely work there.
heboland

Post by heboland »

Thanks for the replies guys! I think your suggestion i working! FWIW, I have openSuese 13.2 and use Zshell for both me an root.

typing this into a shell stops autorepeat in more than one shell. It's as if this changes the environment.

frank[5194] xset r off                                                          frank[5195] k
I need to experiment with this some more! Repeat seems to be off in this window foo

Heboland
drooly

Post by drooly »

heboland wrote:typing this into a shell stops autorepeat in more than one shell. It's as if this changes the environment.
the "x" the app name begins with means that it's an app to change settings of the (graphical) X-server, so yes, it should affect everything running under it.
heboland

Solved-Re: Is there a way to disable KB char auto repeat?

Post by heboland »

Thanks again guys!

drooly, you're right xset is an x command. it even has a manpage. xset -r is the proper invocation for my system to disable KB autorepeat. xset doesn't have a config file, so it's affect lasts for a session.

It may be possible to invoke xset from a login script to automate the process.

meanwhile xset -r is letting me type again! I think this thread is solved. I'll try to mark it so Heboland.
drooly

Re: Solved-Re: Is there a way to disable KB char auto repeat

Post by drooly »

heboland wrote:It may be possible to invoke xset from a login script to automate the process.
yes!
you should be able to make it permanent in:
preferences -> default apps for lxsession -> autostart