Unable to Logout LXDE

Please post all general support questions for LXDE here.
AlanWalker

Re: Unable to Logout LXDE

Post by AlanWalker »

drooly wrote:this is unexpected behavior for a normal pc/lxde installation.
i guess the answer to your problem lies with "preinstalled" and "beagle bone black".
Hi, New poster here.

I recently installed Debian 7.5 Wheeze (stable) configured for LXDE on one of my laptops.

The other instance of a Debian derivatives (Mint, originally configured for Cinnamon) that I installed LXDE on would only respond to the LXDE "Logout" button for me.

LXDE shutdown via its menu on the recent install of Debian Stable functioned without problem until I moved it to Debian Testing (altering /etc/apt/sources.list and executing apt-get update followed by apt-get upgrade). When I did that the problem of LXDE only logging out (when I wished to shut the system down) returned.

LXDE now, as in earlier instances, appears to exit to the Debian login shell.

As a short term solution (possibly permanent) I created a script (sudo shutdown -h now) and put the script in my system's path.

Dropping to shell and executing sdn (the name I gave to the script) shuts my system down in something like 9 seconds now.

I'd like to use LXDE's 'Shutdown' function but I've not been able to find information on the net about how to do that under the circumstances I've encountered.
drooly

Post by drooly »

imho you don't even have to drop to the shell to execute the script.
as i said, and again only my humble opinion, lxde's sesson management is so marginal that you can just kill it. the shutdown command takes care of crucial things before cutting the power.

apart from that, you are aware that you are describing the exact opposite problem of the original poster?
seppalta

Post by seppalta »

I've only glanced at the posts here. They are a bit confusing so I'll just point out one more thing; if not useful to your problem, just ignore it. The easiest and quickest way to logout is to use the keybinding: ctrl+alt+backspace. If not already set-up in your install, see http://lxlinux.com/#19 for set-up instructions. There are many ways to set-up reboot and shutdown as already mentioned here.
drooly

Post by drooly »

seppalta wrote:The easiest and quickest way to logout is to use the keybinding: ctrl+alt+backspace.
...which brings down the X server.
i knew i had forgotten something: "killall X".
newkid

Post by newkid »

drooly wrote:this is unexpected behavior for a normal pc/lxde installation.
i guess the answer to your problem lies with "preinstalled" and "beagle bone black".
Agree!
I've also posted this problem to beagle bone forum, but seems people are not quite interested on it :(

Anyway, thanks !!!
AlanWalker

Post by AlanWalker »

drooly wrote:imho you don't even have to drop to the shell to execute the script.
as i said, and again only my humble opinion, lxde's sesson management is so marginal that you can just kill it. the shutdown command takes care of crucial things before cutting the power.

apart from that, you are aware that you are describing the exact opposite problem of the original poster?
Hi,

Yes and no. OP spoke of being unable to log out using "Logout", I was on about being unable to shutdown using "Logout"; in both cases the Logout menu closed without executing the requested function, but in my case this 'malfunction' started only after an "upgrade" from Debian Stable to Debian Testing.

Elsewhere, how does one "kill" LXDE without reverting to Lightedm? If using key-bindings what 'command' is linked to the key sequence?

I am writing this on a system using Debian 7.5 (with the LXDE desktop) that I am setting up for a friend even though I've only limited experience with LXDE - I like it enough to do so even though it may be considered "marginal", although I am not sure we mean the same things when using that word.
Nagarajan

Post by Nagarajan »

Sir,
I also experience the same problem - not able to log out'. I have installed ubuntu 13.10 lxde through complete linux installer. Initially it was working fine. But when I encountered frequent 'hanging' problem I erased and reinstalled. After reinstalling, the lxde opens properly. But when I click 'log out', nothing happens. The lxde logo screen remains as it is and I am able to open menus as usual. Permenant solution is needed.
A.Nagarajan