Unable to Logout LXDE

Please post all general support questions for LXDE here.
newkid

Unable to Logout LXDE

Post by newkid »

I'm using Debian (for BeagleBone Black) and when I click "Logout" from the menu, the menu disappeared and nothing seems to happen.

After doing a lot of googling (sorry that I'm new to lxde & debian), I was pointed to the command "lxde-logout". When I ran this command inside lxterminal, I got the following messages:
debian@beaglebone:~$ lxde-logout
Xlib: extension "RANDR" missing on display ":13.0".

** (lxsession-logout:7584): WARNING **: dbus-interface.c:94: DBUS: The name org.freedesktop.Hal was not provided by any .service files

** (lxsession-logout:7584): WARNING **: dbus-interface.c:94: DBUS: The name org.freedesktop.Hal was not provided by any .service files

debian@beaglebone:~$
Same result for the command "lxsession-logout"

Any ideas and any solution for this ?

Thanks.
Rex Bouwense

Re: Unable to Logout LXDE

Post by Rex Bouwense »

Welcome to the lxde forum. I took care of your duplicate posts. Because we had a terrible problem with spam a year or so a go, your first posting has to be approved. You should not have a problem now. Since we are very small forum (we deal only with the LXDE) and an even smaller group of active participants, it may take a while before you get a response. So have patience.
Rex
drooly

Post by drooly »

hello newkid!
how did you install lxde and which version of debian (stable or testing) are you using?
if i got output like this, my first guess would be to look wether "hal" is installed.
newkid

Post by newkid »

Thanks drooly!

Both the LXDE and Debian (version 7.5) are pre-installed with the device (BeagleBone Black).

Yes. I've checked that "hal" was not installed, so I installed it by "sudo apt-get install hal" and rebooted.

I tried logout again, the following message shown:

Code: Select all

** (lxsession-logout:1347): WARNING **: dbus-interface.c:94: DBUS: No property power_management.type on device with id /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/computer

** (lxsession-logout:1347): WARNING **: dbus-interface.c:94: DBUS: No property power_management.type on device with id /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/computer
Still no luck :cry:
seppalta

Post by seppalta »

Most Debian-based LXDE distros have a reboot and shutdown exec in /sbin. So just put /sbin/shutdown or /sbin/reboot into the terminal. You can add (replace) these to the bottom of your lxde menu following the recipe prescribed in http://lxlinux.com/#9. Use action=/sbin/shutdown and action=/sbin/reboot.
newkid

Post by newkid »

Thanks seppalta!

I have no problem on "shutdown" and "reboot" command, they are working fine.

My problem is I am unable to logout no matter via menu or command line. :cry:
Rex Bouwense

Post by Rex Bouwense »

Can you boot with an older kernel? If you can, can you log out?
Rex
drooly

Post by drooly »

newkid wrote:My problem is I am unable to logout no matter via menu or command line.
have you tried

Code: Select all

killall lxsession
(no sudo)?
it sounds harsh, but lxde's session management is practically non-existent, so this command should be perfectly harmless. i just tried on my vm lubuntu install, no problem.
newkid

Post by newkid »

Thanks Rex!
The Debian (v7.5) is pre-installed with the device shipped, and it should be a custom made version particular for the device (beaglebone black). I'm not sure if older version is available?! I need some time to search and test your suggestion.

To drooly: I've tried "killall lxsession" and no response was given (i.e. when I input the command and pressed enter, nothing happened. It only showed a new command prompt and ready for me to input anything).
If I run "sudo killall lxsession", the system showed "lxsession: no process found". That's all I got !!

Thanks all of you! You guys in this forum are really helpful!! :D
drooly

Post by drooly »

this is unexpected behavior for a normal pc/lxde installation.
i guess the answer to your problem lies with "preinstalled" and "beagle bone black".