Specify the desktop on which to run an application

Please post all general support questions for LXDE here.
bieniekmat

Specify the desktop on which to run an application

Post by bieniekmat »

Hi,

I am using mousetweaks to help with my RSI issue. It has a --display parameter that I'd like to use. I have 1 screen and 4 Desktops. The only value I can pass to it is :0 or :0.0 where obviously they both they refer to my main Screen.

If a have a Desktop called "Garden", how can I tell it to run on it? Is there any other way to specify on which "Desktop" I can run an application?

I couldn't find a good way to phrase the question on google. Thanks for your help!
Rex Bouwense

Re: Specify the desktop on which to run an application

Post by Rex Bouwense »

Welcome to the LXDE forum.
In the first place you only have one desktop. You have four workspaces (or as many as you want). If you are using LXDE you are probably using Openbox as your window manager. I am not aware of any plug-in for Openbox that will you allow do what you want. Perhaps there are others in this forum who may have a solution for you. There is (or was) a plugin for Compiz called "window rules", I believe, that will do what you want to do. Remember, people choose the Lightweight X11 Desktop Environment (LXDE) do so knowing that while it is configurable it is not as configurable as some of the other heavier desktops (like Xfce or Gnome).
Rex
drooly

Post by drooly »

what's RSI?
also i don't know "mousetweaks"

but generally, something like that is possible in openbox.
it's a classical case of setting up a rule for a certain application in rc.xml's <applications> section.

check out openbox wiki, most probably here: http://openbox.org/wiki/Help:Configuration

edit: depending on your distro, it's a bit tricky to find the right rc.xml (lubuntu...).
sean0000

Post by sean0000 »

You may find this to be helpful:

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=70903

Sean
bieniekmat

Post by bieniekmat »

Thanks for your help guys, especially sean0000 - it directed me straight towards the answer. Only after that I noticed that rc.xml documents everything in the comments.

drooly:
RSI stands for Repetitive Strain Injury and is an umbrella term for various chronic pains in limbs usually, in my case hands.

Thanks!