security

Please post all general support questions for LXDE here.
Lotherin

security

Post by Lotherin »

Hi everyone. I am a big fan of everything Linux, and I stumbled across your project today. I'm very interested in utilising it on several applications, but I have a small concern. How is security on your environment? I know anyone that uses a live boot of Backtrack5 can scan for open ports and use the syn/ack attack to attempt to gain access to a computer (and many other hacking methods). Have you addressed security with your operating system in regards to hackers/hack attempts? I would like to use LXDE for a few usefull applications, but I want to make sure I'm not opening my LAN up to attack if I do.

Thanks in advance.
Rex Bouwense

Re: security

Post by Rex Bouwense »

Welcome to the LXDE forum. LXDE is not an operating system. It stands for Lightweight X11 Desktop Environment. There are approximately 45 Operating Systems that use the LXDE. Security on any Linux OS is quite good. I was once told that a Linux system is like a room with locked windows and doors to get anything in you must open a door or a window. It is a pretty crude analogy but I believe it is pretty close so download a few and try them. Try a few different desktops, LXDE, Unity, KDE, Cinnamon. They all work and have their avid supporters.
Rex