handling mailto: links running lxde - Solution

Please post all general support questions for LXDE here.
buchs

handling mailto: links running lxde - Solution

Post by buchs »

I was trying to resolve a problem I have with LXDE running on Debian 7.6 stable. When I have mailto links in Google Chrome, they open a new Chrome window that is blank, instead of my Preferred Application setting of the Mozilla Build of Thunderbird. I tracked down the problem to the code in /usr/bin/xdg-email and came up with a fix. I thought I'd share it for the benefit of anyone interested. xdg-email lumps lxde into the generic category. So, I edited the bash script to create a separate open_lxde function and set it to use the Preferred Applications setting. It is not all that much code changed. The full file can be found here. I just overwrote the system xdg-email.

Feel free to cross post this or whatever. I was looking at putting it in the LXDE wiki, but that doesn't seem to be set up/used for such things.
Rex Bouwense

Re: handling mailto: links running lxde - Solution

Post by Rex Bouwense »

Welcome to the LXDE forum. It is not often that we get a problem and a solution in the same post. Feel free to do that again or stick around to provide assistance to others (or both if you have the time and the inclination).
Rex