invert colors (xcalib -invert) for nighttime viewing

Please post all general support questions for LXDE here.
JoeSchmoe

invert colors (xcalib -invert) for nighttime viewing

Post by JoeSchmoe »

Hello,

First, I want to apologize in advance if this is a dumb question. I just got my first ever Linux computer about 10 hours ago and I'm afraid I'm still learning the basics. I'm eager to learn, though.

When I use a computer at night, I like to use a program that inverts the colors on the screen, turning black to white, white to black, and red to green (etc.) I find it much easier on the eyes.

According to this post, I should be able to do this on x.org by using xcalib. Unfortunately, when I run xcalib -invert -alter, nothing happens.

Is there some reason why xcalib shouldn't work with lxde?

I'm running lxde 0.5.0-4ubutu4 on lubuntu 14.04 running on a ARM-based single board computer, an ODROID xu3 lite.

Thanks in advance for any help. Fairly extensive searching hasn't found anything so far. Any other tips would be appreciated.
Rex Bouwense

Re: invert colors (xcalib -invert) for nighttime viewing

Post by Rex Bouwense »

Welcome to the LXDE forum. I am using Lubuntu 14.04 which of course has LXDE. I just tried to reverse the colors on my computer with the command

Code: Select all

xcalib -i -a
Since I did not have it installed, I received the message
The program 'xcalib' is currently not installed. You can install it by typing:
sudo apt-get install xcalib
I typed

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install xcalib
in the terminal. I entered my password when asked and hit enter. After the installation I entered the command in the terminal and the colors reversed. Is that what you did?
Rex