[SOLVED] Trying to track down where the scrollbar is defined

Please post all general support questions for LXDE here.
BruceJohnJenner

[SOLVED] Trying to track down where the scrollbar is defined

Post by BruceJohnJenner »

Okay, so I am currently in the process of moving from a debian based distro running openbox to using ubuntu with lxde (cant stand unity :x ) I am reusing the various openbox themes that I used before the move, but I cant figure out where the scrollbar behaviour is coming from, ie

http://i.imgur.com/wMXWLmf.png

The way the scrollbar behaves at the moment is to hide until the user mouses over the side of the panel, then pops up so the user can scroll it, but it behaves quite strangely and I dont particularly like it. I dont think this behaviour was defined in the theme, as it wasnt showing up in my old distro, but Im unsure where it is defined. Can anyone help me with tracking it down so I can change it to a more normal scrollbar behaviour?
Last edited by BruceJohnJenner on Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
seppalta

Re: Trying to track down where the scrollbar is defined

Post by seppalta »

I would start by looking in themerc (/usr/share/themes/..../..../themerc).
BruceJohnJenner

I checked that, its not defined in the themerc. I tested the same theme package on both openbox and lxde and the weird scrollbar is only present in lxde. What Im talking about is this:

I want the scrollbar to be visible at all times, not just when I mouse over it. Its an extremely annoying point for me, almost enough to want to look for another option besides lxde.

Is that behaviour built into lxde, or is it something external I can configure?
Bob E

Post by Bob E »

Open synaptic and search "overlay-scrollbar" and "liboverlay-scrollbar-0.1-0" and remove/delete them from there. Then reboot and the normal scrollbars will be available.

From the Linux Mint webpage: http://www.linuxmint.com/rel_katya.php
Overlay scrollbars
Linux Mint 11 inherits the newly introduced "overlay scrollbars". If you would like to use traditional scrollbars instead, you can deactivate them by removing the "overlay-scrollbar" and "liboverlay-scrollbar-0.1-0" packages and by restarting your computer.
Rex Bouwense

Post by Rex Bouwense »

Change the theme and see if the problem still exists.
I am not sure what you are talking about when you ask about LXDE and openbox. Openbox is the window manager for LXDE.
Rex
Bob E

Post by Bob E »

This is what the OP is talking about, Rex. No matter what theme is used, they are always there. A tiny thin line, then when you mouse-over the line, the little "slider-tab" pops up. Some people love them...I think they are #@$%^!&*!!! Once you delete them from synaptic and reboot, you'll get the nice normal scrollbars back.

Rex Bouwense

Post by Rex Bouwense »

Bob E, thank you for the information. I have never seen them in any of the distros that I have used with LXDE and I did use Mint 11 back when Canonical first released Unity. Perhaps they were there and just never noticed them. I think if I had I would have called them exactly what you just did.
Rex
BBOSAK2143

Post by BBOSAK2143 »

I know if you download a plain Ubuntu Desktop distro, those blasted overlay scrollbars will be there. Personally, I never build a ubuntu-mini with those overlay scrollbars since they hardly ever work right and look absolutely terrible. If you have seen any of my works, you know i am into severe colorization and those overlay scrollbars do not provide any decent possibilities with them. Even though when I create themes, I write them in, I have absolutely no idea how they look. I also have them written into the gtkrc, but have yet to ever see them on a LXDE desktop. I suppose is another reason am getting more drawn to LXDE. Seems a lot of junk is coming to many of the larger desktops, but LXDE remains very durable, dependable and looking decent.
Same Name here as everywhere
I Enjoy creating themes for Linux Desktops
A desktop should look proud and bold!
I build my own Linux OS's
Linux is for Work
Windows is for Games and Viruses
BruceJohnJenner

That fixed it thanks :D