nm-applet fails to appear in the lxpanel

Please post all general support questions for LXDE here.
Rex Bouwense

nm-applet fails to appear in the lxpanel

Post by Rex Bouwense »

When Lubuntu 14.04 was released the nm-applet that normally would appear in the LXPanel would not start by default. Until a fix was released the work around was to launch it manually in default applications for lxsession. That worked fine. Recently, after numerous updates the nm-applet once again will not launch. However, I am connected to my wireless provider. There just is no indication in the lxpanel. The previous work around does not appear to work this time. I can start the applet with

Code: Select all

sudo nm-applet
but it will not survive a reboot. Any help would be appreciated.

I do get this error message in the terminal when using the above command.

** (nm-applet:3443): WARNING **: Couldn't connect to accessibility bus: Failed to connect to socket /tmp/dbus-o28th37GkB: Connection refused
nm-applet-Message: using fallback from indicator to GtkStatusIcon

Any ideas?
Rex
seppalta

Re: nm-applet fails to appear in the lxpanel

Post by seppalta »

Have you tried putting nm-applet into autostart. Personally, I prefer wicd or conman to gnome.
Rex Bouwense

Re: nm-applet fails to appear in the lxpanel

Post by Rex Bouwense »

Hi seppalta. Yes I tried that. It was the work around for the bug that existed until a fix was released but this time it doesn't work. I suspect that somehow root has seized control of some config files. Working at home there is no problem but if I am away from home I cannot see the available networks to connect to unless I use the code I posted. Any idea which files I should be looking at? Perhaps it is a permission problem but why only that applet? Frustrating.
Rex