Lubuntu 14.04.x monospace font incorrect zh-tw

Please post all general support questions for LXDE here.
s255010

Lubuntu 14.04.x monospace font incorrect zh-tw

Post by s255010 »

I'm considering to upgrade Lubuntu from 12.04 to 14.04.x.

However, the monospace font in 14.04.x is not monospaced, while in 12.04 it is.
This occurs in zh_TW, not in en.

======================TL;DR, goto next separate line============================================
After some testing, I found several facts:
In Ubuntu,
1-1. Ubuntu 12:

Code: Select all

fc-match monospace
# gives "DejaVu Sans Mono"
1-2. Ubuntu 14:

fc-match monospace
# gives "Droid Sans", I think this is incorrect, but overwritten by gsettings's settings
2-1. Ubuntu 12:

gsettings org.gnome.desktop.interface monospace-font-name
# gives "Ubuntu Mono 13"
2-2. Ubuntu 14: (same as above)
3. Actually, in gnome-terminal, the monospace font is "Ubuntu Mono 13", same as checking "Using system monospace font" option
=>This means, the so-called sys. font is taken from "gsettings".

In Lubuntu,
1-1. Lubuntu 12:

fc-match monospace
# gives "WenQuanYi Micro Hei Mono"
1-2. Lubuntu 14:

fc-match monospace
# gives "Droid Sans Fallback", **
2-1. Lubuntu 12:

gsettings org.gnome.desktop.interface monospace-font-name
# gives "Monospace 11"
2-2. Lubuntu 14: (same as above)
3. Actually, in lxterminal, the monospace font is "Droid Sans Fallback", same as checking "Using system monospace font" option
=>This means, the, the so-called sys. font is taken from "fontconfig".
===========================================================================================
Thus, I concluded that "Lubuntu takes the font settings from fontconfig, not gsettings".

Then, the reason why Lubuntu 12 works, while 14 not is that, by default, v12 installs "ttf-wqy-microhei" package and has "<string>WenQuanYi Micro Hei Mono</string>" in the first line of monospace section of "/etc/fonts/conf.avail/69-language-selector-zh-tw.conf.
However, v14 neither installs "fonts-wqy-microhei" package, nor has the line above.

Ubuntu 14 doesn't install it and have the line, but the problem does not occurs since it takes font settings from gsettings instead of fontconfig.

Mitigation:
Install the package and add the line manually.

May the developers do something to solve this problem? Is this a bug that I should raise a bug report on sf.net?
Rex Bouwense

Re: Lubuntu 14.04.x monospace font incorrect zh-tw

Post by Rex Bouwense »

Welcome to the LXDE forum. The developers rarely log on to the forum so filing a bug report is probably the way to go. Since you are talking about Lubuntu, Launchpad is the place to file it. You are aware that there are only two active Lubuntu versions (14.04 and 14.10). All others have reached End of Life and are no longer supported, therefore an upgrade from 12.04 is very difficult especially since Lubuntu 12.04 was not a long term support version like Ubuntu 12.04. You best bet if you want Lubuntu 14.04 is a fresh install after backing up all of your data.
Rex
s255010

Post by s255010 »

Thank you for replying. I'll fill up the bug report.

It's a fresh install in VM.

How do I distinguish whether it's Lubuntu's issue or LXDE issue?
What's the control group?
Rex Bouwense

Post by Rex Bouwense »

I would file it on Launchpad. Not sure which would be the control group, but that is a good place to start. Ask the question there and you will more than likely be directed to file a bug report.
Rex